Pull My Pork???

JimT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
No, no, no,,,,this isn't a Woodpile question.

Seriously!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just took a couple pork butts off the smoker, and they are resting peacefully. One is definitely getting pulled for tonight's dinner and sammies for work. Pondering what to do with the second.

Does pork butt need to be "pulled" while it is still warm? What would happen if I just separated it into some large "chunks" and refrigerated and/or froze the chunks? Seems to me that this would help retain some moisture, but could you still pull it? If it could be pulled, could it be done cold, or would you have to heat it up first?

Thanks,

JimT

I agree with RCS, I've tried to do it both ways and it just doesn't seem to pull the same reheated as it does when just off the smoker... Can't explain why, just is.

Pull it warm, add juices in ziplock or vacuum bag. Boil reheat.

No, no, no,,,,this isn't a Woodpile question.

Seriously!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just took a couple pork butts off the smoker, and they are resting peacefully. One is definitely getting pulled for tonight's dinner and sammies for work. Pondering what to do with the second.
Thanks,

JimT

Fed-X overnight to me. Problem solved!:icon_bigsmil

Split the second one in half. Pull 1/2 and chill/freeze. Leave the other 1/2 whole and chill/freeze. When you go to eat the whole piece, CHOP it instead of pull it ----- then tell us all which way was more moist, worked the best, was the easiest or tasted the best.

A perfect opportunity to experiment and let us all learn something.

Pull it, vacuum seal it if you can for longer freezer life. I thaw it in microwave and then reheat in microwave giving it a toss every minute or so until hot and it is as good as fresh! Another good thing to try is making taco's or chilli with the pulled pork instead of burger or beef, it's pretty good.

Right turn, Clyde...

Thanks for all the replies, but my "experiment" took a different turn. I went ahead and pulled all the pork, and divided it up into foodsaver bags of about 1 and 1/2 pounds each. Before sealing the bags, I put them in the freezer for a couple hours to partially (actually almost completely) freeze the meat. I've found in the past that if I simply vac seal the cooled meat, it tends to pack together quite a bit, and is hard to separate for sandwich size portions (without reheating first.) I'm hoping to avoid this.

I was a little leery about sealing a cold bag that is starting to get condensation on it, but the little "sucker" did its job amazingly well! No leaks yet!

JimT

I've had to put the butts in the fridge and pull them the next day (tired mod) and it seemed to work OK. It was a lot more work and a little creepier after the fat had hardened again. Definitely better to pull when its warm.

Back