Skirt Steak Burger Disappointment

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I like skirt steaks and over the weekend decided to see what a burger made of skirt steak would taste like. Of course I expected it to have roughly the same flavor. Unfortunately it was bland and made an average burger.

Any thoughts on why ground skirt steak would lose it's flavor?

I get that fat is flavor but, it was ground whole with fat on it. Why would the steak taste great grilled whole, but be somewhat tasteless ground?

I have found that skirt generally needs a marinade which not only tenderized it but also added flavor. I have never thought of grinding it. It is a very lean cut.

I have found that skirt generally needs a marinade which not only tenderized it but also added flavor. I have never thought of grinding it. It is a very lean cut.

Right on!!! skirt steak loves marinade that is why it is so good for fajitas, I marinate mine 24 to 36 hrs before I cook them.... then they are awesome, when they stand alone they are lacking

a lot of the gourmet blends that became the hot trend over the past few years in the big cities/high end restaurants are generally a blend of high quality (ex. prime, dry aged etc) chuck, brisket, short rib, and skirt steak...

I think the key is the right proportions to get best of both flavor & fat content

Last edited:
Back