Best Atlantic Fish for Grilling?

jpalaska

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After 45 years of eating Alaskan salmon and halibut, I'm now ready to try some of the fresh Atlantic Ocean fish that I can get in my new home, North Carolina.
What are some of the best varieties of east coast fish to throw on the grill, or in the smoker?
Thanks for your suggestions.

JP

My favorite fish you can pull from the atlantic to grill

Fresh Tuna (yellow or blue fin) probably my favorite fish out of everything
Rockfish/Stripper (this is just a great all around fish but is very good grilled)
Flounder (great cooked on the grill as long as it is on indirect coals as it is a very flaky fish
Mahi Mahi/Dolphin Fish - this right here is great eating. Holds up well to big bold flavors and different cooking techniques.

Grouper is great eats but that is more of a warmer water fish. You find them in Florida and the south part of South Carolina.

One of my new buds here has family down in Georgetown, SC.
He says he can get us grouper and wahoo from there; oysters too.

One of my new buds here has family down in Georgetown, SC.
He says he can get us grouper and wahoo from there; oysters too.

Definitely get them they are great eats.

But try the other fish i have listed as well. I live in South Eastern, VA right on the coast and have been here for most of my life. If you take charter fishing boats and deep sea fishing boats out from the Outter Banks you will catch the fish I listed, all of which are great eats as well.

For the East Coast I would definitely look for Fresh Striper. (Stripper, as previously mentioned, not so tasty.. Those will get ya into trouble. Striped bass are amazing when grilled "on the half shell" Filet them but leave the skin and SCALES intact. Grill Scale side down and top with whatever pleases ya. I like lemon, fresh dill, cayenne, s&p etc. but feel free to experiment. When the fish is done the meat will lift right off the skin.

(I didn't shoot these pics)

For the East Coast I would definitely look for Fresh Striper. (Stripper, as previously mentioned, not so tasty.. Those will get ya into trouble. Striped bass are amazing when grilled "on the half shell" Filet them but leave the skin and SCALES intact. Grill Scale side down and top with whatever pleases ya. I like lemon, fresh dill, cayenne, s&p etc. but feel free to experiment. When the fish is done the meat will lift right off the skin.

Thank you,
I've heard striped bass are delicious. Those photos look yummy.

JP

Definitely get them they are great eats.

But try the other fish i have listed as well. I live in South Eastern, VA right on the coast and have been here for most of my life. If you take charter fishing boats and deep sea fishing boats out from the Outter Banks you will catch the fish I listed, all of which are great eats as well.

Thank you so much AAWA,
There's a lady here in the mountains that brings back fresh fish from the Outer Banks. And my bud Stephen, originally from SC, says he has a bud in Georgetown that would take us out on his boat.

JP

While it's not "only" an east coast fish, Catfish is great on the grill. We've had haddock too. But I don't know if haddock can be found in NC. Swordfish too when you can find it.

While it's not "only" an east coast fish, Catfish is great on the grill. We've had haddock too. But I don't know if haddock can be found in NC. Swordfish too when you can find it.

I'm glad to hear that about catfish. Around here it's mostly deep fried (which I love, BTW). And I've had swordfish when I was young; kind of like wood. It was probably overcooked.
Halibut is like that. A very few minutes of cooking can mean the difference between a tasty moist treat and a piece of 2x4.

JP

You cant' go wrong with most Pelagic fish so get 'em in the Gulf Steam...

Grouper is great eats but that is more of a warmer water fish. You find them in Florida and the south part of South Carolina.
You can get grouper off the coast of VA and NC, just in real deep water, way out.
Oregon Inlet is silting up and they may stop dredging it.
Wahoo is excellent on the grill, it is very firm like steak.
Takes at least 3x as long as Tuna - which is soft and tender,
and you want Tuna rare.
I cook a 2" thick filet of Tuna for like 2 minutes each sides HOT,
wahoo 2" would be like 15 minutes total. Just don't dry out any of the fish.
The rockfish (striper) idea of skin on the grill and slide it off works great, trophy rock
season in the Chesapeake is a' comin'.
Offshore you also have tilefish and black seabass deep dropping.
Mahi are firmer and great on the grill.
Oh, and Mako shark is like steak and great on the grill.
Oysters on the grill w/ garlic butter = yummy.

Hey Awaa - right now tautog are biting at the CBBT and the closer wrecks - have you tried 'tog? Nice coldwater fish.

Aawa

Hey Awaa - right now tautog are biting at the CBBT and the closer wrecks - have you tried 'tog? Nice coldwater fish.

I have only had Tautog and sheephead a couple of times. I don't remember much about the how they were as I was pretty drunk when I had it lol.

I'll have to pick some up soon to give them a try again.

I'll add redfish as well. Good eats and you don't have to go off shore to catch em.

Back