Would you still eat it?

pigpen269

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last night I took out a 7LB brisket out of the freezer and left it on the counter to thaw a little before i stuck it in the fridge. I had also laid a tall over it to keep it a little insulated. I got it out about 7PM. Long story short I forgot about it until 6AM this morning. It was still really cold but it was completely thawed. My thoght is that it would be alright to use but just wanted to see what everyone thinks. I plan on smoking it in the morning. Thanks.

I would put it in the fridge and smoke it when you are ready. The temps you are going to take her to will more than kill anything that may have "arrived" while it was on the counter. I assume it was still wrapped whole on the counter?

Only thing is if it smells bad when you unwrap it, I wouldn't eat it then.

I would have measured the temp to decide.. if it was cold enough, no problem,

you would be suprised how long meat will stay good for, as long as the meat still smells good and appears fine go for it. That is as long as it wasn't in direct sunlight & as always if weary ,throw out & get new. I have done stuff like that in the past and have never had an issue. Just look at those survival guy's eating week old dead animals.

thanks guys. I was pissed off when i came down stairs this morning and seen it. It was still pretty cold so i wasn't to worried but the wife kinda freaked out when i put it back into the fridge.

Just look at those survival guy's eating week old dead animals.

Not trying to be a jackarse here, but what survival guys are you watching eating week-old dead animals? I must not be seeing them because they must be dead by now.

That's one of the big no-no's in a survival situation...no eating old dead animals. Fresh kill is OK...not so fresh, not so much. Unless, of course, you are talking about week-old kill in Alaska in the dead of winter...different story there. A week-old carcass would have maggots, and if it's got maggots, it's not good to eat.

Sorry about the hijack!

I would NOT eat that brisket. My health is worth a lot more than the price of that brisket.

check out discovery channel - Survivor Man les stroud - Man vs Wild Bear Grills, yeah it t.v but their still alive...

O.k. then how about this - everyone in third world countries with no refrigeration die of other causes that bad meat...

If the meat still has eyeballs attached to it, a reliable way to test for freshness is the eyeball rebound factor. Basically, you push your finger into the eyeball and let it go. If stays indented, it's too old. If it comes right back out, it's fine. Nature's own freshness monitor. I've used it relaibly to test roadkill for years and I'm still kickin.

First, people in some of those countries die of other things much worse... the meat just didn't have time to get to them! :)

And I have yet to see a brisket with an eye attached....

If the meat still has eyeballs attached to it, a reliable way to test for freshness is the eyeball rebound factor. Basically, you push your finger into the eyeball and let it go. If stays indented, it's too old. If it comes right back out, it's fine. Nature's own freshness monitor. I've used it relaibly to test roadkill for years and I'm still kickin.

WTF!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Roadkill BBQ MOD.:icon_sick

If roadkill is left for 10 hrs in the sun , is that considered low and slow?? And what if you poked it in the eye at the end of the 10 hrs, the eye prob would not pop back, correct?

If roadkill is left for 10 hrs in the sun , is that considered low and slow?? And what if you poked it in the eye at the end of the 10 hrs, the eye prob would not pop back, correct?

Yeah but maybe too low and slow. You need to be over 160 deg. F.

check out discovery channel - Survivor Man Les steroid - Man vs Wild Bear Grills, yeah it t.v but their still alive...

O.k. then how about this - everyone in third world countries with no refrigeration die of other causes that bad meat...

I've watched those shows extensively...anytime they eat a deceased animal like that, they thoroughly explain the importance of making sure it is a fresh kill. A test other than the eyeball test is watching other animals...if vultures, hyenas, lions, etc are eating it, you're pretty safe to eat it (after they've finished :p).

A third-world inhabitant won't normally die from amoebic dysentery...it just makes you real uncomfortable. Catch a case of dysentery in a survival situation and it can lead to other problems that'll kill you.

So, Pigpen may catch a case of the trots, but it's not likely to kill him.

always good to keep Imodium AD on hand just in case i guess?? if it would help??

Man i love living in the U.S. with refrigeration, fresh meat, bbq, and fun times.

I think i'll leave this one alone now.......

Back