Questions for reverse flow builders, users and smart folks

va_connoisseur

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a couple of question for the reverse flow builders. I have been seeing a few builders not fully welding the reverse flow plate, just tack welding it. Is that a good idea? My builder fully welded all 3 sides of the plate to the box.

Secondly, how long should the plate be in relation to the smoke chamber? I see some builder leave a smaller opening (less than a foot from the end of the tank) and others that have the plate stop 2/3 of the way down. Is there a correct way to measure the distance it should be?

Thanks in advance.

Yes the baffle plate should be fully welded... Why not it only takes a few extra minutes and will prevent grease from going under plate into firebox and having a grease fire..... I put a 1.5" dam at the end of the plate and you could literally fill it with water..... Do not want to do that tho..... would kill your radiant heat.... I stop my plate just shy of the end.... you do not want it to be less than the opening to cook chamber from firebox.... that is to keep the flow from bottlenecking and stalling the process.... hope this was not as clear as mud for you......:-D

Yes the baffle plate should be fully welded... Why not it only takes a few extra minutes and will prevent grease from going under plate into firebox and having a grease fire..... I put a 1.5" dam at the end of the plate and you could literally fill it with water..... Do not want to do that tho..... would kill your radiant heat.... I stop my plate just shy of the end.... you do not want it to be less than the opening to cook chamber from firebox.... that is to keep the flow from bottlenecking and stalling the process.... hope this was not as clear as mud for you......:-D

^ 'nuf said!

Yes , the plate should be welded solid on all 3 sides. I actually put a 1 1/2 steel at the end of the plate and have a drain in the plate. This is so no grease will go anywhere and stay on the plate. As for the opening at the end. It needs to be same or larger than the opening from fire box to chamber. Or you will not get the correct draft and you will have temp problems.

That's what I was thinking, especially the opening. I was looking at a 500 gallon RF today and the way the plate was what had me worried.

Back