Useful accessories for a 22.5" Weber grill

W

wsm

I'm getting my first weber kettle - I alaready have a WSM and chimney, I know that there are lots of other accessories for the kettles - warming racks, kettle top holder, hinged cooking grates, wooden side tables, etc

Which accessories do YOU find to be useful?

I don't use charcoal baskets. Don't see the need.

My top 3 are the hinged grates, the grates with the hinges on them, and the little hatch type dealies on the grates (I offset everything on the kettle, and leave one hinge open. Lift lid 1 inch, slide to side revealing open hinge side, add 2 chunks hickory, replace lid. Total heat loss, about 20*. Recovery time, about 2 minutes.)

i use the hinged grate same as Bill, and the Top holder. Alot more convientnt to just lip the top to the side, that to look for a place to put it.

BBQchef33 said:
i use the hinged grate same as Bill, and the Top holder. Alot more convientnt to just lip the top to the side, that to look for a place to put it.
Allright-- I am too lazy and tired to search the Forum or the web on this one. Smack, Worn out
icon_evil.gif

WTF are hinged grates and all of that??

I was fixin' to order up one of these, 22.5" Platinum, since my gasser grill died an undignified death (finally and thankfully).

I just want to grill steaks, burgers, dogs, etc.

Not interested in Moding something--not even one more time after the Dera
icon_evil.gif

Thanks,

TIM

The hinged grates just open up about 3 inchs from the side to make it easier to add charcoal or chunks into the side baskets(or railed area) on the side of a kettle. Standard on the gold and platinum models.

wsm said:
Are the baskets much better than the rails?

Yes! :-D

You don't really need either, but I've found that on longer cooks the heap of coals tends to migrate slightly and sometimes touches the drip/water pan causing it to heat up, I prefer the baskets to wires as the wires don't really hold the coals as well as the baskets.

All you really need is Chimney Starter, Charcoal Baskets, Drip Pan, Hinged Grate (if you dont have one), Tool Rack (with tools in wire brush for cleaning), Table and a Cover (If stored outside)...oh and coals but then you have other cookers so most of the above you've already got or you wont need :roll:

The Kettle Warming Rack is useful if you are grilling and need to move some food away form the heat and you were out of zoneing room (but it can get in the way!), The Charcoal Grill Rotisserie is really great and it also gives you an extra 'ring' that increases the hight of your Kettle by about 10" giving you more room for those Beer Can Chickens or Large Turkeys etc etc.

The Charcoal Grill Rotisserie is really great and it also gives you an extra 'ring' that increases the hight of your Kettle by about 10" giving you more room for those Beer Can Chickens or Large Turkeys etc etc.

I never use my rostisserie. I've had for at least 15 years. I tried it a few times when I first got it. It took forever to balance the food properly and really didn't add to the flavor of the finished product.

However, Ive got to remember to use the ring to increase the height of the kettle. That will come in handy.

I just bought the weber gold 22.5 and I'm trying to increase te surface space for smoking. Anyone made any kind of warming rack or something that worked for this? Thanks!

Nobody has said it yet, so

Cast Iron Cooking Grates! I use Craycorts but there are others.

Back