Pinto Bean NEWB!

nostang88

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I need the easy get to the point Pinto Bean Recipe. I love pinto beans but I have never made them. I worked in a BBQ restraunt and I ate them like a gringo with everything. I make allot of chili here at the house but I use canned beans for time because im more into the diferent kinds of meat I grind at work (prime Chucks ground once are best). So bean me up!

Beans in your chili? I'm not sure I can help someone who'd do that, but I'll try. :biggrin1:

Pre-soak your beans.

Ham Hock, half a slab of bacon and a whole diced onion seared real good before you add the water to boil the beans. Fiesta pinto bean seasoning. Boil till tender. Add one cup concentrated brisket dripping stir and serve.

Does seasoning beans before or after they are cooked have any different taste or does the quality get better. I like onions,bacon, in the beans so it it liek anything else with the saying longer the better.?

I add the seasoning meats pretty much at the beginning and let 'em ride. Ham hocks, fat back and even cut up country ham slices work real well. Careful with the salt when using country ham.

Here is my recipe but you have to promise not to put them in any chili. :mrgreen:

1 Lb dried Pintos, cleaned of stones and rinsed.
1 large onion coarsely chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños to taste
1 smoked ham hock, scored to the bone in a few places.
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1 14.5 Oz can diced tomatoes with the juice. (Optional)
Salt to taste once the beans get about half way done.

I don't soak the beans overnight, but you can if you want.

Cover with water, bring to a boil and then simmer until done. Keep adding water as necessary to keep beans covered.

When cooking unsoaked beans the total cook time is around three to four hours, depending on the heat of your simmer setting.

Also, though I haven't tried it yet, I saw on America's Test Kitchen that soaking the beans in salt water for awhile (Hour? - not sure) will shorten the cooking time too.

Here are two of my favorite pinto recipes.

Ranch style beans

Ingredients:
16 oz. of dried pinto beans
6 ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 15 oz. can of tomatoes (or 2 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 cup of water
6 cups of beef broth
Salt and black pepper to taste

Method:
Soak the beans using the quick soak method in which you place the beans in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat and let sit for one hour.

Drain the soaked beans.

In a cast-iron skillet heated up to medium high, cook the anchos on each side for a couple of minutes (or until they start to bubble and pop), turn off the heat and fill the skillet with warm water. Let them sit until soft and rehydrated, which should happen after half an hour or so.

In the pot you’ll be cooking your beans, heat up a teaspoon of canola oil and cook the onions for ten minutes on medium. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Throw the cooked onions and garlic in a blender and add the tomatoes, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, oregano, water and hydrated ancho chiles. Puree until smooth.

Add the pinto beans and beef broth to the pot and stir in the chile puree. On high, bring the pot to a boil and then cover; turn the heat down to low and simmer for two and a half hours, stirring occasionally. At this point, I check my beans for tenderness as depending on the freshness of the beans I find that the cooking time can be as short as two and a half hours and as long as four hours. When you're satisfied that the beans are done, salt and pepper to taste.

Charro Beans

1 lb pintos
4 oz bacon (diced rendered reserve drippings)
1/4 med Spanish onion (fine dice)
3 jalapenos ( seeds & veins removed fine dice)
3 cloves garlic pressed
2 Knor brand Calde de pollo bouillon cubes
2 Knor brand calde de tomate bouillon cubes

Sort the beans and put into a 1 gal stock pot cover with enough cold water to top the beans by 3 " place the pot on high heat and bring to a boil immediately turn down the heat to a low boil for 10 min. remove from heat cover the pot and allow to stand 1 hr.
(Never hard boil beans it pisses 'em off and they get tough)

While the beans are soaking render the bacon remove from the pan add the onion and jalapenos saute for two min.

Drain and rinse the beans refill the pot top the beans with cold water by 2" bring to a boil reduce heat to a low simmer add all the remaining ingredients including the bacon fat and simmer covered until the beans are tender about two hrs. adjust seasoning with S&P to taste.

VERY KOOL. It looks like my bean venture is on the right path. Cant wait to be a BEANER!

If you want to relly cut the cooking time down, do the quick soak method that Bludawg has listed and then drain, and add all your yum yums then cook in a pressure cooker (with water added back or whatever you decide to use in there) and let 'er buck for about 15 minutes. Nothing like nice pintos in an hour and 15 mins. Gnome sayin'?

Lots of great info above!

The only thing I will add is that several years ago I started using beef broth/stock for pintos, other dark beans, and black eyed peas.
I use chicken broth/stock for white beans.

Great flavor boost over plain water. :wink:

Great Eats!!!

TIM

Texas Baked Pinto Beans

1 Pound Dried Pinto Beans
5 Cups Water
1 Large Onion Chopped
2 Large Jalapeño Peppers , Seeded and Chopped
1 1.4 oz Envelope Taco Seasoning Mix
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
2 14.5 oz Cans Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes
2 Pounds Ground Beef

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place beans in a dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans, bring to boil. Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
Bring beans, 5 cups water, and next 8 ingredients to a boil. Add ground beef, stir to crumble. Bake covered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
If necessary, you can bake uncovered for additional time for desired consistency.

If desired you can cook on the stove top instead of the oven.

Also, though I haven't tried it yet, I saw on America's Test Kitchen that soaking the beans in salt water for awhile (Hour? - not sure) will shorten the cooking time too.

I do this when making red beans and rice and I don't have time to soak overnight. Add beans to a gallon of cold water, add 3 T kosher salt and bring to a boil. Once it hits a boil turn off heat, cover and soak for one hour.

Beans are simple. Here is what I do..Everyone loves it...beware of cholesterol content though :)

In a crockpot...or in a warmer (roaster oven) depending on how many people I am expecting.

2# Beans
2# Bacon
1 Jalapeno
3 Roma Tomatoes
1 Small-Medium Onion
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper (optional)

Fry up bacon until slightly crispy (it gets soft once back in the crockpot). Put in crockpot.

Coarse slice the jalapeno, tomatoes, and onion and put in the bacon grease to fry up. Once some juices are released, toss it all in the crockpot (yes, the grease goes in too).

Toss in cleaned beans, cover on high. Add water till covered. Check in every so often to check water level. Typically the crockpot beans take 4 hours or so. I like them thick, not runny (sauce).

Season to taste with chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne (if you picked a weak jalapeno).

I don't like to soak my beans. I just give them a good rinse. My dad used to tell me that when you soak them, you don't let all that flavor in.

A roaster oven of beans is the same process but:

5-6# of beans
4# of bacon
3 Jalapenos
and
5-6 Roma Tomatoes

The roaster oven on about 375-400 will take 6-8 hours to cook that many beans though.

Also a tip: you can use Bacon Ends and Pieces (its the cheaper and thicker bacon, mmmm). You can cut it like I do.

One piece of advice I forgot to mention DON'T salt your beans until they are fully cooked or the will be tough and mealy... ACK!

IF that's true, why wouldn't the salt leaching out from country ham have the same effect?

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/qu...-beans-toughen-or-soften-the-skin-of-the-bean

:becky:

I actually season it up twice. Once when I am starting the cook (where I am careful about over-salting) and then right before I am ready to serve it. Taste, typically it is short on salt (lol). You would figure it would get a lot of salt from the bacon...but man those beans come out delicious (and must love all the salt).

Back