Heat Control on MINI WSM, and cooking heat range for pork but.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
I am smoking a pork shoulder in my Mini WSM. Trying to get the heat steady. It will rocket out of control if I am not careful. I have removed coals, and dampened the bottom vents, but that only helps slightly. Also what is to hot for pork shoulders for fall of the bone tenderness. I usually smoke at 225 my Termoworks temp has an alarm for 215, and for 250. Some times I will get it to come down, but it will choke out the fire, and I have to hit it with a fan to get it going again.

I ran my mini anywhere from 235-350 degrees. When I did wanted to keep my temps low 235-250 degrees I would put the clay saucer to act as a heatsink. When I wanted to go higher I took out the clay saucer.

You can cook a pork butt at any temperature and have it release the bone cleanly. When cooking at higher temperatures just keep an eye out on the color of your bark. When it gets the color you want, wrap it in butcher paper or foil.

I normally do my pork butts between 300-350 degrees and they come out great. The key to hot and fast cooking is to give a pork butt a minimum 2 hours of rest.

Not quite sure of your set up but my mini runs like it has a ATC hooked up to it... One you need a good minion burn which helps... not very often i have to make adjustments on it.

Doing another PP for Superbowl and gonna use the mini...the last one went 9 hours @ 275. Didn't have to add any more charcoal or anything. Mine is a SJG just set up very simple with the steamer for the duffuser and i have a charcoal basket made from the charcoal grate.

Sometimes simple is best on the builds...some folks make theirs too complicated and have problems...there's just no need for it.

My defuser is a clay saucer. I still have the steamer insert, but not with me. Seems to be holding well not. What is a minion burn?

A minion burn is a slow burn from burning charcoal and wood to unburnt. Some put lit coals right on top of unlit... I prefer the burn from one side to the other.

This is with lump

This is with the beginning of a smoke with briquettes i just started.

My mini like too run at around 300-325, cooks pork just fine at that temp. I rest at least a hour, usually two wrapped in the cooler.

A minion burn is a slow burn from burning charcoal and wood to unburnt. Some put lit coals right on top of unlit... I prefer the burn from one side to the other.

This is with lump

This is with the beginning of a smoke with briquettes i just started.

I'm going to have to get me one of those Smokey Joe Golds. They are only $35 on Amazon. I bet it performs much better for me than the SJS. I'll try burning side to side like you do. I'll use the Smokey Joe silver for cooking fish--need a grill for that purpose anyways.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to get me one of those Smokey Joe Golds. They are only $35 on Amazon. I bet it performs much better for me than the SJG. I'll try burning side to side like you do. I'll use the Smokey Joe silver for cooking fish--need a grill for that purpose anyways.

geek yea the gold works great with the basket because it gets air from all sides.

Here is my 1-2-3 process for starting the next basket...same for UDS basket.

1) shake out loose ash from old burn

2) After shaking it out shove the old to one side going in order from most burnt to least burnt

Lastly add fresh charcoal

Add smoking wood and light from the partial burnt. This will always give you consistent heat and good smoke from the get go because you're starting with pre burnt...which is cleaner smoke.

Back