What did I do wrong on this turn in

U

Useless

So the AR was my first comp and I was flying blind most of the time. This was my first time making a putting green and such. Next year we are going to practice at trimming for sure but what is wrong with this so I can learn from it and move on. We did a 17 hour smoke on two 17lb briskets and picked our fav. This was a little overdone and was a tad hard to keep together.

52737091004.jpg

52739091004.jpg

Putting green looks great. Remember when you put the entry into the box you want it to say "WOW". To me that brisket looks tired and it does look overcooked. Pre trim the brisket before you cook it to fit the box. There are tons of pics on this site just do a search for them. One last thing if you are not a CBJ (Certiied BBQ Judge) its worth every penny to take the class.

I don't think the meat looks visually good laying in that direction,imo.
The greens look good for your first attempt!
17 hours? wow...you're a patient one!

1. Never put the fat side on top.
2. Never align vertically.
3. It looks like you sliced in the wrong direction.

1. Never put the fat side on top.
2. Never align vertically.
3. It looks like you sliced in the wrong direction.

Exactly what I was thinking, although I'm not sure about slicing in the wrong direction. The picture just isn't clear enough. Brisket should be cut across the grain, not with it. The first time I looked at the pics it looked like it was cut with the grain as Mista pointed out, but when i looked more I'm not sure.

I see trailing fibers on the righthand slice that would lend themselves to that conclusion.
I'd have to reiterate all the above, but also note that if you've got the stones to go to the Royal for you first comp, you'll do all right!

I have to agree with the above posts...sliced with the grain???and fat side up.

I would say get rid of the fat in all. Sauce to make shine and add flavor. Do not cut the brisket in half like that. Pre trimming goes a long way. Get whats in your head to the box and you will be on the right track. Seems you knew it wasn't your best.

And get rid of the ketchup! :twisted:

Seconding the burnt ends and not placing it in that direction. Putting greens look good.

Were these all consecutive pieces? It doesn't look like it above, which shows inconsistency piece to piece.

I think most responses have already nailed it for you but the fat is the worst IMHO. Looks horrible. Get rid of it!! Also, I agree that vertically aligned slices are not the way to go. Not only does it just not look right that way, it also allows judges to see some of the imperfections that you can hide if they're horizontally aligned.

Useless, we are a critical group but in a very positive and helpful way. Do a search and I think some of the comments will make more cents. Search for brisket turn-in boxes or just competition brisket and you will find some good info. I think Diva said that it took guts to enter this comp as your first and I would have to agree. My guess is you will get this figured out pretty fast. Your turn-in box and carving skills needed some .... encouragement...but you threw it out there. We expect a first place walk the next time bro.:wink:

My burnt ends can get a little messy thats why I left them out of the box. They were consecutive pieces ecpt I moved one of them around. Next time I plan on cutting it down to box size before hand and then doing a lot better as far as trimming goes. I am only 24 guys so I feel like I have time to learn. I really appreciate all the helpful advice in this thread. I wouldnt of joined this place if I didn't seek honest criticism. The meat does look a ton darker in these pics than it really was. I lightly sauced. I was cooking on a CG SP which is unmodified. I will soon be adding a baffle and tuning plates as well as using high temp rope to seal it up. Our neighbors were KSBS CBJ's and gave us a ton of help. I plan on taking a class ASAP. Part of my problem this year was that my stepfather was on our team and I had to make a ton of compromises to keep things going smoothly in our camp. I am still pretty disappointed with how we faired but I just have to chalk it up to a learning experience. I had no idea what I was getting into but I enjoyed it.

What they said and I think you belong in the Big Loins club for doing the AR as your first comp!:eusa_clap

"I had no idea what I was getting into but I enjoyed it."

That sums it up right there- If you can't have a good time why bother at all?

The chargrillers are terrible pits to work on at home, let alone a comp, so congrats. I've got one at home and no way in h3ll would I want to compete on it.

Stick it out and you'll learn a lot. The guys here on the board are great, not to mention at the competition. We've learned a lot here and wouldn't have done as well this year if it wasn't from all the information we gained.

The chargrillers are terrible pits to work on at home, let alone a comp, so congrats. I've got one at home and no way in h3ll would I want to compete on it.

Stick it out and you'll learn a lot. The guys here on the board are great, not to mention at the competition. We've learned a lot here and wouldn't have done as well this year if it wasn't from all the information we gained.

From what I have seen if you modify them you can get a long burn and keep a stable temp. Just requires a little elbow work.

Mine's modified and it still requires a ton of babysitting, esp. if there's wind or its cool. I'm loading charcoal into it every 45 minutes to 1.5 and that's barely loaded. I could make it somewhat more efficient, but its still going to be a fuel hog

Back