Everyone's doing it (KFC) so I figured why not!

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK here's my first attempt at KFC (kettle fried chicken). Pretty simple on the seasoning. I trimmed up the thighs skin and removed as much fat as I could. Mixed yard bird and Tony's with some buttermilk and have the chicken marinating. I figure 2-3 hours. The batter tastes fairly spicy but I'll still mix in some yard bird and tony's with that and cook. My goal is between 375-400 indirect on the kettle.

One question. I was planning to use Stubbs charcoal with a chunk of wood. I have cherry, pecan, and apple. Any suggestions?

More pics will come.
Edit: anyone know why my pics turned sideways when I uploaded them?

Last edited:
The only thing I can say from my limited experience is 3 hours at that temp will probably be a little long and your batter looks a little thin, but remember my key words (limited experience). Let us know how they turn out.
I downloaded your pic, rotated and uploaded so I can't help you there.

p334159299.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. The 2-3 hours was to marinade. I figure at 375-400 they will cook for about 45min-1hr. I haven't battered yet but will after the marinade.

Buddy, That Louisiana Chicken Fry batter mix is the best we've found. Sometimes we just use it dry on chicken. Looking good!

Sorry for the confusion. The 2-3 hours was to marinade. I figure at 375-400 they will cook for about 45min-1hr. I haven't battered yet but will after the marinade.

My bad, my reading comprehension isn't all it should be at times!

Well I think my inexperience is showing. I barely had enough dry batter and I can't get the grate temp of my kettle over about 360 (dome is at 400). Guess I'll just take longer to cook. I sprinkled some yard bird on top after putting the chicken on the grill.
I also made a spinach rice casserole and Peeps made me hungry last week for grilled romaine so that will go on last.

Oh I also had to use KBB instead of Stubbs. I'm low on Stubbs and I'm wanting to do ribs possibly tomorrow. Lowe's is running low so I didn't wanna chance it. I put a few small chunks of pecan in with the KBB....smells delicious.

And again, sorry about the pics but for some reason when they download they get turned sideways.

Last edited:
The finale and verdict

What?! no finished pics.

Patience farklf....lol

OK so below are the finished pictures. The chicken was a tad overcooked. I figured that might happen when I couldn't get the grill temp past 360. It took the breading longer to get golden and crispy which overcooked the internal a tad. But I used thighs for a reason on my first attempt. Uniformity and if they overcook they are still juicy.
Verdict: This chicken was outstanding flavor wise. I now know why KFC is so popular here. Toast, you were right about that batter. But I will usually go for anything that says Louisiana on it. I kicked it up with the yard bird and Toney's though. Spicy but not overpowering.
The sides: Spinach casserole was so so. First time I've made that too and I'd make some changes next time.
Grilled romaine was great as always. I used olive oil, salt, pepper, yard bird (that stuff us good! ), and parmesan cheese.

Oh almost forgot the drink! Sorry not much of a beer drinker but the hard cider works!
Boy I'm having a hard time with pics today. I need to do this on a computer and not my phone I guess.

Last edited:
Nice work, despite your confessed hiccups....I'd still chow on it!

Back