Breakin' in the Broil King Keg

chambers_

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I was asked in a previous thread I started to post pictures of my Keg, and about if I use lump or briquettes. I couldn't reply to that thread because I haven't been around for a while, so I'll address them here!

Here's a bit of an album of my Keg cookin' chronicles. I'm about to embark on a big cook tonight with ribs, sausages, beans, and wings. If I don't get into the sauce too much and forget to take pictures, I'll make sure to update the album.

I use lump charcoal, usually just Royal Oak. I had tried a few more expensive brands, but didn't see a noticeable enough improvement to warrant paying the extra. I did have to put a bead of high temperature silicone under and around the vent wheel at the top to prevent a bit of air leakage I was getting. Since doing that, the temperatures are a lot more stable and I use a ridiculously small amount of lump for long cooks. One 20lbs bag of lump will last me a few months, at least.

No other mods needed thus far. I'm considering getting a BBQGuru or something to make it idiot-proof, but not sure I really need it. Maybe I'll put it on my birthday list :)

I had to fine tune the starting process a bit with the grill for low and slow. I found my temperature overshooting too easily and due to the efficiency of this thing, it took way too long to come back down to the mid-to-low 200's. I got a Looftlighter to address this and it works flawlessly. Very fast and very easy to start a minimal fire for low and slow, or to light the whole damn bowl up for scorchin' heat. Works great for stoking the coals too if you need a quick boost in temperature for a reverse sear or something... highly recommended little gadget.

Low and slow ribs and butt are my favorites so far on this thing. That said, roast chicken and beef are fantastic... just not as fun :) I haven't gotten pizza to work all that well yet, but I haven't played with that too much... mainly because I hate making dough!

After months of use, I'm very happy with the Keg. Does a great job in Canadian winters at sustaining low and high temperatures due to the excellent insulation. Wind, rain or snow, it's rock solid.

Needless to say, I'm officially hooked on this hobby (I'd almost call it a lifestyle now!) and I'm thoroughly enjoying all the results. This is a great board, and I've learned a lot from you all. Thanks guys!

Happy cookin' !

I have an older model keg and love it. I have cooked low and slow on it a few times but not since I got my Stumps. I mainly use the Keg for high heat cooks, such as burgers, steaks & pizza.

What model do you have?

Has the vent wheel been fixed on new models?

What other mistakes were you making to overshoot the temperature?

How does the Looftlighter solve the temperature overshoot vs the other methods?

Great review. I'm presuming low & slow can be solved by sealing the top vent, and your technique for starting the coals.

Thanks. Jake.

Back