Zeroing UDS temperature

What do you mean by chasing temps? I was adjusting the ball valve a fair bit as this was the first time cooking with the adjustable valve, my last UDS I just had 3 magnets.

Chasing temps is really over compensation and not knowing your smoker.

For example, you fill it up with briquettes add too many lit coals and open all 3 valves to get it started, the temp soars so you panic and shut all the valves, the temp slowly drops, but then it gets too low so you panic again and open all 3 valves up, the temp soars again so you shut them down, and the cycle keeps repeating itself.

Once you get to know your uds, how many lit coals to put in, and how much to open the valves it is pretty much set it and forget it for at least 10-12 hours.

What do you mean by chasing temps? I was adjusting the ball valve a fair bit as this was the first time cooking with the adjustable valve, my last UDS I just had 3 magnets.

Always allow a good 25-30 minutes between intake adjustments. You have to give the uds time to react.

I have to admit that when I first started cooking with my UDS I probably looked like a monkey trying to position myself on a football with love on my mind. As many have said before, you must show patience Grasshopper and listen to what the barrel is trying to tell you. Learn what makes your smoker happy.
DO NOT try to position yourself onto your smoker.

Back