1st ABTs

N

nonthink

So I’m going to do my first ABTs. They will be going on the WSM on Saturday around noon time.
My question is this.
Can they be prepared the night before, or should they go on right after being put together?

not a problem making them ahead of time-throw em into the fridge ovenight and cook them tomorrow-the last batch I made I even froze a half dozen to see what would happen to them- they stayed in the freezer for about 3 weeks, took them out and threw them on the cooker frozen- came out good- the only thing about freezing peppers is they are a little soft when they thaw- fresh is always best, but I would make a bunch again and freeze some for a later date- just pop them on the smoker and no prep time involved

I make them the night before most of the time. Lay 'em out on a baking sheet, cover with Saran wrap & put in the fridge.

How can you be a full fledged farker, and never made ABTs? Get with it!

Definitely make a whole bunch the day before, then make more on the day. That way you might just have enough.:biggrin:

How can you be a full fledged farker, and never made ABTs? Get with it!
HeHeHe, that's f'n funny right there.
Yep, make plenty, cuz even folks who claim to not like jalapenos like ABTs.

So I’m going to do my first ABTs. They will be going on the WSM on Saturday around noon time.
My question is this.
Can they be prepared the night before, or should they go on right after being put together?

I can relate to that question... You've got to love this place.

Be sure to dust the tops with rub. I made the mistake once and didn't add rub to the stuffing mixture. They came out bland. But I really like seasoning the bacon. Remember, if no pics, it didn't happen.:cool:

Be sure to dust the tops with rub. I made the mistake once and didn't add rub to the stuffing mixture. They came out bland. But I really like seasoning the bacon. Remember, if no pics, it didn't happen.:cool:

put a rub in the cheese and on the bacon! :biggrin:

4jul07-006.jpg

4jul07-009.jpg

Dam Rick, you can count the individual specks of rub in that first picture. Your photo talnet is only surpassed by your cookin.

Good luck Nonthink on your second WSM smoke.

The rub is already in the cheese.
and
This is actually my 3rd smoke.

I make them the night before most of the time. Lay 'em out on a baking sheet, cover with Saran wrap & put in the fridge.

AHA I knew you withheld important information last week...before you Tom Sawyered me into scooping out all those peppers!

The heat of the chiles can be directly related to when you make the abt's. My wife usually has pepper prep detail. When making a lot and and not having time to do a little at a time and hold them in the fridge. The membranes don't scraped out very well. At the end, there are always several people, crying, sweating with running noses...and yet they keep eating them. I love a good ABT S&M fest.

That's OK. I like the heat. Maybe next time I'll mix the cheese with some wasabi.

Keep us updated and remember even cell phone pics count for pron.

I seem to get mystery japs, no matter how uniformly I remove or do not remove the membrane some are fairly tame and other ones melt your face off. It's really exciting wondering which one you're going to get.

I seem to get mystery japs, no matter how uniformly I remove or do not remove the membrane some are fairly tame and other ones melt your face off. It's really exciting wondering which one you're going to get.

I thought that was half the fun of having ABT's

Back