Texas Crutch

Do You Use the Texas Crutch?

• Yes, I use the crutch with great success!

Votes: 109 88.6%
  • No, I'm not crutching when I'm cooking!

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Curses, foiled again (Snidely Whiplash mod)

I voted yes:-D I love my foil NTTAWWT:icon_blush:

Hey, I live and cook in Texas, think I use it?

I like the shiny side out..:biggrin:..lol

In the past while using my stick burner I used the Texas crutch. Now with the FEC 750 I don't need it. If I were cooking on a stick burner or something other than the FEC then I would use it every time.

I voted yes. I use the crutch on ribs and butts and would not change for anything. I have tried without and prefer the results with it.

Sometimes, but I don't think it's a crutch any more than using charcoal instead of logs is a crutch. You don't have to have it to make great BBQ but if you're unwilling to use it to your advantage then you may not achive success.

RichardF?

I'm the first thing that comes to mind with the mention of foil :confused:

I don't bring it up unsolicited - That being said, I'm a live and let live kinda guy. If you want to steam your meat and it works for you, go right ahead. For the period of time it's wrapped up, you might as well have it in one of these
image.php

:wink:

I foil to hold, but rarly when its on the smoker. Made the fire for smoke flavor might as well use it.

I always foil my ribs when I cook. But, I don't foil the brisket or butts since I want to form a good and crunchy crust on the outside. As others have said, you lose that cruch when you foil due to the steam factor. But with the ribs, the last step I do is to let them sit in a cooler and the foil helps hold the temps and it also helps keep the cooler clean.

I guess if it isn't banned in a competition then it's considered a tool. I've done foiled and unfoiled briskets. Like the foiled better.
Interesting where this thread has gone since yesterday. I hear hornets stirring!!

It's only a crutch if you can't cook without it.

I use it. I like the results.

IMHO, crunch bark is overrated. Beef=Tender, Fried chicken=Crunchy.

Do that and all is right in my world.

Gotta have it. Use it like mad on the ribs and butts. Shiny side to food. That side has the coating on it. Shiny side out when making martian anti-mind reading hats, too.

It makes no difference which side you use. There is no coating, the only reason one side is shiny is because when it's being rolled the preassure roller causes it to become polished.
Now Reynolds "Release" foil has one side coated with a coating allowing it to become nonstick.
ModelMaker

I don't matter how it's fixed.......what matters is how it tastes. I seldom use foil but when I have it has not let me down. I still checked NO.......I got's a rep-a-ta-shon to ubhole.

I always foil my ribs when I cook. But, I don't foil the brisket or butts since I want to form a good and crunchy crust on the outside. As others have said, you lose that cruch when you foil due to the steam factor. But with the ribs, the last step I do is to let them sit in a cooler and the foil helps hold the temps and it also helps keep the cooler clean.

I never foil my butt either, but I do wear a foil lined baseball cap so the UFOs cannot read my mind. As for a good and crunchy crust on my butt I will have to invoke my rights under the 5th Ammendment.

Never foiled briskets or butts, except for Fitz's.

Me? No. I'm with Wayne. Foil's for hats...and ribs.....and the 5th amendment.

For pork butts, absolutely. Helps me keep the food hot between cooking and serving.

Ribs or anything else, no way. Tried it once and didn't like how they came out. Almost akin to boiling-tender, which is not a good thing. Haven't done a brisket yet, may have to give the foil a go when I do that...

Never use foil but use food service plastic wrap. Meat continues to cook while wrapped hot. When reheating you can go up to 200 degrees. Foil seems to make the meat loose its smoke.

Back