Ribs cooked 3 ways side by side (foil, paper, unwrapped)

Yeah, not what I expected. I'm still thinking it's a situational thing...and like someone was saying yesterday on youtube, perhaps the presence of liquid in the wrap plays a bigger role than we think it does.

if you ever do a follow up exercise to test that hypothesis its a video I'll definitely watch

I've been reading the comments, and had some thoughts of my own. Then I looked at your brisket cook in the side bar, then saw this there.
Brisket Wrap Test | Which has Best Flavor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYtR5MPZc4
Basic rub, no sauce-the texture and flavor of the meat was the primary variable between briskets. I especially liked one of your comments, "No sauce needed". That says a lot about a cook, to me.
That was a test that would have carried more weight for me. No spices and, especially, sauce, to cover up differences between the slabs of ribs.

You're just gonna have to keep doing this until it comes out the way you want! Very cool video, thanks guys for posting

I've never wrapped ribs and they've always come out great. I always wondered why people wrapped. :crazy:

I've never wrapped ribs and they've always come out great. I always wondered why people wrapped. :crazy:

I think it's just a tool. It helps in certain circumstances. I thought it was to speed up a cook now I'm questioning everything. lol. I did keep some of the smoke off the ribs though.

I did a no wrap, foil plain, and foil with butter brown sugar honey.

most of my guests liked the no wrap the best

Same here, but use some white cranberry strawberry juice (about half a cup) when wrapped. Gives them a really sweet flavor and beyond juicy.

How long until Yoder sends T-Roy a pellet smoker. At this point crazy they haven’t already.

I don't get it either. I don't know how many offsets they've sold because of his videos, and it would do the same for their pellet smokers. Even a loan of one should be in consideration.

Some companies just don't understand the power of the Internet, and the way they reacted on social media to the issues about the firebox placement and draughting on their smaller offsets show they are one of them. T-Roy even mentions them promising to send him something during his videoed visit, with no follow-up, which is inexcusable - better to not say anything then to make a promise and not make sure it gets followed up, especially with a semi-public figure with so many viewers.

I don't get it because advertising used to cost a fortune and was difficult to target your potential customers, now Youtube offers an incredible opportunity to get your products out there for next to nothing if you are clever and honest.

Excellent video, I really enjoyed it. I kept saying to myself, damn what do y’all talk about for 6+ hours!

I’ve done ribs naked and foiled and prefer the foil as I’ve gotten too much bark when naked.

Looking forward to your next video.

I don't get it either. I don't know how many offsets they've sold because of his videos, and it would do the same for their pellet smokers. Even a loan of one should be in consideration.

Some companies just don't understand the power of the Internet, and the way they reacted on social media to the issues about the firebox placement and draughting on their smaller offsets show they are one of them. T-Roy even mentions them promising to send him something during his videoed visit, with no follow-up, which is inexcusable - better to not say anything then to make a promise and not make sure it gets followed up, especially with a semi-public figure with so many viewers.

I don't get it because advertising used to cost a fortune and was difficult to target your potential customers, now Youtube offers an incredible opportunity to get your products out there for next to nothing if you are clever and honest.

I was standing right there when they promised Troy that fire grate. If they would have had one ready to go, they would have given it to us. They just couldn't find one on the shelf so Joe said he'd sent it later. I really think Joe fully intended to sent it and am almost certain he didn't even think about it again after that...and I would bet a million dollars he doesn't spend 6 minutes on youtube a month watching bbq videos. I can't prove it, but he just doesn't seem the type.

The thing to remember here is it's not that that Yoder doesn't get the power of the internet. They do very well. They are actually killing it on youtube with AllThingsBBQ which is a sister company to Yoder. Those guys are very sharp.

I think the problem really is more to do with working in silos. It's kinda like asking the accountant a customer service question. The internet guys do the internet stuff and the manufacturing guys do the manufacturing stuff. I honestly think Joe has so much on his plate trying to get grills made and sending Troy a grate just fell off his radar. It's not ok to promise and not deliver (and with someone like Troy it's really dumb too), But after meeting the personalities involved, I kinda get how it happened.

Last edited:
Nice video Justin, results certainly weren't what I was expecting either. I normally cook my ribs unwrapped, have wrapped in foil only a few times and found that my preference are unwrapped (ditto for guests). I guess I'm not running to the store for butcher paper either.

And since you guys were easily able to keep track of unwrapped vs. foil vs. BP there couldn't have been any beer involved. :-D

Nice video Justin, results certainly weren't what I was expecting either. I normally cook my ribs unwrapped, have wrapped in foil only a few times and found that my preference are unwrapped (ditto for guests). I guess I'm not running to the store for butcher paper either.

And since you guys were easily able to keep track of unwrapped vs. foil vs. BP there couldn't have been any beer involved. :-D

LOL. Very funny.

Look at it from the other side of the coin. What is the ROI on giving out a grill? I know Mak gave out at least one and I think it's been featured in a single video in six months.

The not getting that which was promised thing is tough. Busy people sometimes forget things and others don't want to be a pest and remind them of such unfulfilled promises. Still - there are other busy people who say they'll do something and manage to come through.

I was standing right there when they promised Troy that fire grate. If they would have had one ready to go, they would have given it to us. They just couldn't find one on the shelf so Joe said he'd sent it later. I really think Joe fully intended to sent it and am almost certain he didn't even think about it again after that...and I would bet a million dollars he doesn't spend 6 minutes on youtube a month watching bbq videos. I can't prove it, but he just doesn't seem the type.

The thing to remember here is it's not that that Yoder doesn't get the power of the internet. They do very well. They are actually killing it on youtube with AllThingsBBQ which is a sister company to Yoder. Those guys are very sharp.

I think the problem really is more to do with working in silos. It's kinda like asking the accountant a customer service question. The internet guys do the internet stuff and the manufacturing guys do the manufacturing stuff. I honestly think Joe has so much on his plate trying to get grills made and sending Troy a grate just fell off his radar. It's not ok to promise and not deliver (and with someone like Troy it's really dumb too), But after meeting the personalities involved, I kinda get how it happened.

Good points. Even with better communication between 'silos' the cultures of those in sales/marketing and design/manufacturing are so different it isn't always easy to get action or to integrate the information sent. I see this in the company I work form even though we still all share the same office and many of us have been there seeing the company evolve from a startup since years, especially since both co-founders are developers - they understand the need for marketing and for sales staff but deep down the don't really 'get' it.

I do believe they are losing small offset sales due to the threads that come up from here and other sites, now that the issue has become 'a thing' - I personally would want this issue to be gone forever if I had a company that size. I guess it's not a big enough issue or they are truly not aware.

Look at it from the other side of the coin. What is the ROI on giving out a grill? I know Mak gave out at least one and I think it's been featured in a single video in six months.

The not getting that which was promised thing is tough. Busy people sometimes forget things and others don't want to be a pest and remind them of such unfulfilled promises. Still - there are other busy people who say they'll do something and manage to come through.

True, in the other hand the discussions on here and elsewhere about the situation would take a different turn. There is a lot of traction behind the videos themselves these days, enthusiasts don't watch them and advertising and stay quiet at home these days, they discuss and take sides, make a big deal or minimise the situations, and there is often one or two people that just keep hammering away and bringing up the issue on every forum or discussion (I'm not judging them, just pointing it out). There is a reason guys like you get offered swag, because they know that you not only get views but that fans will talk about your vids and recommend others in the same vein, reinforcing the message.

Back