Lump ?????

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
I've always been pretty much a Kingsford person. I'm ready to try using lump in the Bandera now. What brand do you guys recommend and where do you usually get it. I am in the East-Central Alabama/West-Central Georgia area. Any suggestions? Do you also use wood with the lump?

I'm s big fan of Ozark Oak (from Arkansas) & get it at a local BBQ accessory store (Firehouse).

Most lump burns cleaner than K, so you'll definately want to use just as much wood.

For value, I'd try the lump they've been selling at Sam's. It comes in a big brown bag and is pretty dense stuff, I believe denser than Royal Oak like you get at Walmart. I believe it's called Frontier, but I'm not sure. I've grilled with it, but I prefer briquettes for my wsm so I haven't tried it for long Minion burns. If you have an Academy Sports around, try the B&B oak lump they sell. It's good stuff, but costs a good bit more than the stuff at Sams.

I am using Cowboy Lump at the moment, but I have used R.O,. and Natural Lump....I use a lot of wood splits and Chunks...Gotta get that smokey flavor going Right LOL:thumb:

Check out the Naked Whiz's lump databse for anything you ever wanted to know about lump charcoal!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Allot of excellent info and a resource to look up the type that's sold in your area. Also some good info on why not to use briquettes.

I use lump by "The Good One". A friend of mine is getting a BBQ equipment business started and turned me on to this brand. I've burned through about 1-1/2 pallets of the stuff (45+bags) and never found a rock or other debris in the bag like other brands I've used. I've run my WSM for up to 24 hours (long story, big cook) without ash clogging the vents.

Royal oak, mostly. I've also used Fireking and Humphrey's natural, both great, and have a bag of dragon breath to try. Worst luck I've had is with qik joe's.
I use hardwood chunks for flavor.

Royal Oak (Wal-mart) and Cowboy (Lowes) are most readily available in my area (NC). Seem like Cowboy burns a little hotter but Royal burns longer.

I just bought my first bag of lump, Frontier from Sam's. So while I have no basis for comparison, my impression is it's all very small pieces and very big pieces and that it doesn't seem to burn that hot.

I use either the Kroger brand or Royal Oak. I havent noticed a difference in the two.

I use Royal Oak. Personally, I'd stay away from Cowboy, see the nakedwhiz findings about Cowboy.... I've actually found some of the same foreign objects in their product.

I've been doing some research and it looks like RO and Cowboys are the best of the brands that are pretty readily available. Any thought on which is better? Also saw where Dragon Breath rated high. Does any major stores carry it? Where would I look?

I've been doing some research and it looks like RO and Cowboys are the best of the brands that are pretty readily available. Any thought on which is better? Also saw where Dragon Breath rated high. Does any major stores carry it? Where would I look?

I wouldn't call RO the best brands, but perhaps the most readily available?

Big Jim,
Around where we live, good lump can be hard to find. Neither the Sam's in Columbus or Auburn carry the Frontier, Academy in Auburn only carries the B&B in the Mesquite variety, and even the WalMarts are hit or miss.

The Grill outlet in Columbus has the Cowboy, but I'm not really a fan. They also carry the BGE...

LaGrange Pool and Spa has the BGE, but I've been trying to convince them to carry some other brands.

What I like right now and am using is Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior that I get from Builders Station at Lee's Crossing in LaGrange. Probably the best I've used, but certainly not the cheapest.

Hope this helps..

Chuck

I don't know if any major stores carry it. It's the first time that I've
ever seen it. See my post asking about it. One reply mentioned that
he knew a distributor. Contact them, or the company itself.

Ace Hardware stores stock Cowboy and 1 other brand which I cannot remember the name of. Large bag of Cowboy $11.99

Also, saw in our local Stop & Shop flyer that they now carry Cowboy lump too.

I don't know if any major stores carry it. It's the first time that I've
ever seen it. See my post asking about it. One reply mentioned that
he knew a distributor. Contact them, or the company itself.
I went on line to the company and the shipping was astronomical. Not an option.

Back