Small store seasoning brews

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Went shopping in my old mans neighborhood yesterday and wondered through the meat section. The area I live in has mostly large chain groceries. His hood has become mostly Hispanic. They have a large meat section and very little pre packaged meat. I had asked what they use to marinate their meat and after three different blank stares someone that understood and spoke a little English took me to their spice section. They had all different types season mixes to choose from. I bought a couple and was eager to try. I cooked some on burger patties and it was good. Next opportunity to smoke will test some more. Anyone else ever try anything like this?

Norcoredneck said:
had asked what they use to marinate their meat and after three different blank stares someone that understood and spoke a little English took me to their spice section. Anyone else ever try anything like this?

It is becoming common to walk into stores around here and get the blank stare.

Yup, Norcoredneck, I've tried that alot. I used to live in almost exclusively latin/hispanic neighborhood and found many homemade brews, dried and fresh peppers and so on. Some experiments went well, and some, like my chayote slaw, were not so good.

There was something so cool about seeing all the bottles of homeade hot sauces and marinades w/ hunks of garlic and culantro floating inside. The mystery of discovering new foods and flavors is awesome....

Theres this chinese grocery in Richmond that Ive been meaning to stop in. Your post just reminded me to do so. Thanks

......... long-time southern CA native .... been there-done-that. Now in southwestern UT .... groundhogday all over again. Good news is ... some really good ethnic fresh and packaged foods not seen here before. I now subscribe thoughtfully to the yin-yang school and accept both sides .... including blank stares. Can't wait for the first store with authentic India spices!

There is a barbeque galore that just went in by me. They have a bunch of stuff seasoning and marinade wise but don't seem to know jack about what they are selling. Plus they seem way pricey

I just bought a bottle of Shichimi Togarashi for $1.79 from a Japanese grocery.
Shichimi Togarashi is a spicy powdered assortment of dried chil peppers and other seasonings
Ingredients include red chili pepper, orange peel, sesame seeds, Japanese pepper, ginger and seaweed
Add this flavorful seasoning to your noodle soup dishes or any other dish that needs an extra spice
I bought it because it sounded like it would be good on fish. Maybe I will have to poach some cod with noodles.

Found an Asian grocery store last time we went to Rochester. I was like a kid in a candy store. Trying new things is the "spice" of life. Bad pun intended.

wow new bbq toys that is what I like, I had some new sticky pig sauce and blues hog sauce never had them before, I think I like the one on the left better.

Back