Do I have enough meat?

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting worried that I didnt buy enough meat. I'm cooking for my church's summer picnic this wknd. I was told to cook for 60. So I bought 4 big butts: 38 lbs raw meat. I figure I get 60% yield so that gives me 22 lbs finished meat.

Now I'm told the number may go to 80. But I know that many of this number is kids and we're also cooking hot dogs.

Should I stop and buy one more small 7 lb butt? I always worry and cook too much. But I cant help worrying about running out.

Go ahead and get the extra butt... Better to be over a little bit than under... If you over then make some Keri's beans later....

That's 88 1/4 pork sammies. You may be right on the money. Get another butt cause using the word may in a sentence as it relates to amount of something in catering makes me nervous.

I just got a confirmation on the head count. 60 adults, 20 kids. Assuming half the adults want a second sammy, and assuming all the kids just want hot dogs only makes me a little shy. This makes me nervous. I'll grab another butt on the way home.

Thanks!

In my experience, I generally figure 1/3 lbs pulled pork, per person . I don't normally get 60% yield because I remove almost all of the fat when pulling. I generally yield about
3 1/2 lbs pulled from the average size butt. I would go for at least one more butt, maybe 2. Since it is a church function, I would assume no alcohol would be involved, so more eating will be done. If it were a drinking crowd you would have plenty.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)

Get the extra butt a lot of kids like pulled pork.

Back