1st Comp Jitters!!

Z-MAN,

Going back to your original post.
1. Sounds like you are changing to a Piedmont pan but have never used one. I have no idea how that changes the WSM. Some folks say it is not wise to change things (experimenting?) for a comp. A "test run" would probably be a good idea.

I have used the Peidmont pan several times, but with foil only. I have found that the temps are a bit touchy without the water. I was going to use the regular water pan for the comp because I am really comfortable with how I can adjust the temps with water.The only reason I was thinking of using the Piedmont pan was just for increased water capacity. I also thought that the insulating air layer bettween the pans might slightly reduce the rate of water boil off. I don't think it should change the performance very much from the regular water pan. But I could be wrong. If all else fails I can take the Piedmont pan apart and just use one of them.

2. Brisket. "Roger" on cooking to a higher internal temp--195 or so in the point and a good "buttery feel" when probed will help. As to Dry, foil them puppies at 160-170 or so with a cup of AJ or broth or something and they will normally be plenty moist.
Will be taking it to 195-198 next time and I added some BBQ sauce to the foil with the last one I did and it helped the flavor quite a bit.

3. Are you cooking on just the one WSM listed in your sig? Two will work if you have the butts and briskets in the dry cooler by 7 AM or so and you can change over to the chickie and ribbies for the final stretch! As to longer times with a loaded WSM--Yes, but.... Just start them an hour or two before your "best guess" and remember "the cooler is your friend" at the end.
I only have one WSM but I will be taking my OTG as well and I was thinking of doing the chicken on it. Indirect of course. That is what I have been practicing the chicken on. I know it will be crowded. Having the butts and brisket in the cooler at 7am is a GREAT idea!! That way I can do at least 2 butts and 2 flats, or should I do 1 butt and 3 flats being that brisket is my weakness. As long as I dont get one of those what I call "stubburn butts" that just don't want to pull, I know I can turn out some good butt.

The best advice you have received is to just relax and have fun.
I will TRY to NOT worry about getting everything done right!!:lol:

Thanks for all the great advice and support guys!! As a newbie to comps I REALLY appreciate every word of it!!:biggrin:

Some comments in blue below :twisted:

Will be taking it to 195-198 next time and I added some BBQ sauce to the foil with the last one I did and it helped the flavor quite a bit.

You might be careful about adding BBQ sauce - it could scorch or get a burnt flavor going if the sugars in it burn... I would stick with AJ or Beef broth, or at least cut your sauce with one of them. (IMHO)

I only have one WSM but I will be taking my OTG as well and I was thinking of doing the chicken on it. Indirect of course. That is what I have been practicing the chicken on. I know it will be crowded. Having the butts and brisket in the cooler at 7am is a GREAT idea!! That way I can do at least 2 butts and 2 flats, or should I do 1 butt and 3 flats being that brisket is my weakness. As long as I dont get one of those what I call "stubburn butts" that just don't want to pull, I know I can turn out some good butt.

I would definately start a little early, and take a small cooler or two for coolering your meat - (less air to cool the meat) - line it in newspaper, and then pack the meat in it as tightly as you comfortably can to keep the temps where you want them.

I will TRY to NOT worry about getting everything done right!!:lol:

Talk to alot of folks, you'll make new friends -- and learn alot as you go. Most folks are more than willing to help you... at anytime other than 10-2:00 on Sat. Raise your hand when they ask if there are any "new teams" - you will be suprised how many folks are willing to help.

Thanks for all the great advice and support guys!! As a newbie to comps I REALLY appreciate every word of it!!:biggrin:

A while back I remember reading a thread from somone(sorry I can't remember who) at there first comp that was stressing when all of a sudden he looked around and said to himself " this is only BBQ for crying out loud...not brain surgery" and then he was able to just enjoy and do his thing. I try to remember that when I feel myself stressing out...It's helped alot!!

That was me at Cameron, MO last year. I told my wife that after I got back from filling up water jugs. It just hit me while I was standing there by myself waiting for them to fill. I relaxed and we got 4th overall, 1st in brisket and 2nd in pork.

At the first comp, like others have said, our goal was don't finish last and don't get DQ'd. I recommend making a board with what time to put the meats on before you get there so you will not be wondering if you are putting them on in enough time. I think this was my biggest stress at our comp, oh yeah, high of 41 degrees and sleet did not help either. Make sure you are ready for turn in times a little early. Don't wait until the last minute to get your boxes ready. We put the garnish in about 45 to 60 minutes early and then put it in the cooler to keep it fresh.

Good Luck!! Have fun!!!! that is what it is all about.

That was me at Cameron, MO last year. I told my wife that after I got back from filling up water jugs. It just hit me while I was standing there by myself waiting for them to fill. I relaxed and we got 4th overall, 1st in brisket and 2nd in pork.

Sorry I couldn't remember it was you Jeff, but like I said, I say it alot to myself and it works!! Thanks. I'm sure I will be saying it many times next week leading up to our first one.

I've been doing comps for over 3 years now and I ain't gonna BS ya.....I still get nervous as a cat, but that's my nature.....I've got to be doing something just almost all the time....hence the nickname Diddler and expalins why I'm so wore slick at the end of a comp.
Best of luck to you.....try to have fun!

Just have fun. It's like cooking at home except more meat and it has to be done by a certain time.

Just have fun. It's like cooking at home except more meat and it has to be done by a certain time.

:lol: Nice way to summarize it, Slat! I hadn't thought of it that way before.

I do tend to get nervous myself and hands shake while putting meat in the box. Straight Woodford Reserve during turn-ins cured that and we did pretty damned good at the GAB! :wink:

Thanks for all the help and support guys!! :grin:

It's a wonderful thing, being a Brethren!! :biggrin:

Best bunch of guys I have met at several different boards!:grin:

Jitters are good...just do have fun. Used to get butterfly, ahh no one wants this BS! LOL

Everyone has told you the most important part - have fun! That's the whole goal, brother. Jason had an excellent suggestion as well, as far as building a schedule. My schedule, on an Excel spreadsheet, starts at 9 am on Friday and runs in quarter-hours through turn-in on Saturday. I started with turn-in time and work backwards, noting every possible task that needs to be done and assigning it to a time slot. If things get hectic, it can save your sanity. Have you done a full walk-through in your backyard? Might be running close on time, but before our first comp I set up in the back just like I would have at a comp, and cooked all four meats. If there was an item that I found I needed but had forgotten, I made note of it. If there were items that I had hauled out that I didn't use, I left them at home. For lights, we've found that one or two strings of Christmas lights, enough to go around the top of the tent at least 3/4 of the way, and one or two clamp-on lights to aim at the work area and the cooker(s) are all we need. And flashlights.

Talk to a lot of folks Friday night, and talk to the rep, too. At most comps these days the rep will ask at the cooks' meeting if there are any first-time teams there. Raise your hand - experienced teams will volunteer to "mentor" you for the weekend and help guide you through the process. And remember, time slows down in between turn-ins and the world disappears. Get someone to block visiting traffic to your "kitchen" during that time, so you can concentrate and you're not feeling like you have to be sociable during those particular times.

BRISKET INSURANCE - a competition trick
Don't worry about the brisket if your temp gets up. I've finally learned that a WSM can cook a 13-lb packer brisket in five hours running at full flat-out heat of 350 or so. Even when running a traditional overnight cook, 260 in the lid won't hurt you a'tall. I've tried all kinds of pan variations for brisket, but I still fall back to water in the pan for a slow cook, and an empty foil-covered pan for a fast cook.

Here's a trick for brisket turn-in, if you're so inclined: make up a mixture of low-sodium beef broth (preferably Swanson's from a box), about 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, defatted drippings from the foil the brisket was in, a little rub, a little of your sauce, a little brown sugar if you like, and tweak it to your taste. You want it thin. Heat it up. Now slice your brisket. While it's still in nicely lined up slices before you take it off the cutting board, glaze the top with a little sweet sauce. Now... VERY CAREFULLY, slide a very large spatula under the slices, still in their nice organized form, and lay the whole batch of the slices down gently into your 9x9 dish, adding or adjusting slices to fit the 9x9 dish like you would your box. Now pour that hot juice into the 9x9 dish, without getting any on top of the slices. Let your slices bathe up to their armpits for a few minutes in those lovely juices while you finish arranging your salad in the turn-in box. Then use your same big spatula, pick up ALL the slices at once again, hold them up and let them drain for a minute or so, and gently set them in the turn-in box. If it's anyways near dry, the meat will soak up enough juices to keep the slices nice and moist until they reach the judges' lips, as well as adding extra flavor. Dry brisket easily averted!

No, I've never won the brisket category doing this, but I have finished right up close to Buffalo, Twin Oaks, and the Head Country II boys with it. (Living in Oklahoma, I can't get around competing against some of the top "big boys" in the nation, darn it... no bottom feeding available around here.)

Just my 2-cents, for whatever that's worth these days. We'll be competing at Art of BBQ in Tulsa that weekend as well, so we'll with you in spirit!

Keri C, 4th year CBJ, 3rd year Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of Hot Wire BBQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has told you the most important part - have fun! That's the whole goal, brother. Jason had an excellent suggestion as well, as far as building a schedule. My schedule, on an Excel spreadsheet, starts at 9 am on Friday and runs in quarter-hours through turn-in on Saturday. I started with turn-in time and work backwards, noting every possible task that needs to be done and assigning it to a time slot. If things get hectic, it can save your sanity. Have you done a full walk-through in your backyard? Might be running close on time, but before our first comp I set up in the back just like I would have at a comp, and cooked all four meats. If there was an item that I found I needed but had forgotten, I made note of it. If there were items that I had hauled out that I didn't use, I left them at home. For lights, we've found that one or two strings of Christmas lights, enough to go around the top of the tent at least 3/4 of the way, and one or two clamp-on lights to aim at the work area and the cooker(s) are all we need. And flashlights.

Talk to a lot of folks Friday night, and talk to the rep, too. At most comps these days the rep will ask at the cooks' meeting if there are any first-time teams there. Raise your hand - experienced teams will volunteer to "mentor" you for the weekend and help guide you through the process. And remember, time slows down in between turn-ins and the world disappears. Get someone to block visiting traffic to your "kitchen" during that time, so you can concentrate and you're not feeling like you have to be sociable during those particular times.

BRISKET INSURANCE - a competition trick
Don't worry about the brisket if your temp gets up. I've finally learned that a WSM can cook a 13-lb packer brisket in five hours running at full flat-out heat of 350 or so. Even when running a traditional overnight cook, 260 in the lid won't hurt you a'tall. I've tried all kinds of pan variations for brisket, but I still fall back to water in the pan for a slow cook, and an empty foil-covered pan for a fast cook.

Here's a trick for brisket turn-in, if you're so inclined: make up a mixture of low-sodium beef broth (preferably Swanson's from a box), about 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, defatted drippings from the foil the brisket was in, a little rub, a little of your sauce, a little brown sugar if you like, and tweak it to your taste. You want it thin. Heat it up. Now slice your brisket. While it's still in nicely lined up slices before you take it off the cutting board, glaze the top with a little sweet sauce. Now... VERY CAREFULLY, slide a very large spatula under the slices, still in their nice organized form, and lay the whole batch of the slices down gently into your 9x9 dish, adding or adjusting slices to fit the 9x9 dish like you would your box. Now pour that hot juice into the 9x9 dish, without getting any on top of the slices. Let your slices bathe up to their armpits for a few minutes in those lovely juices while you finish arranging your salad in the turn-in box. Then use your same big spatula, pick up ALL the slices at once again, hold them up and let them drain for a minute or so, and gently set them in the turn-in box. If it's anyways near dry, the meat will soak up enough juices to keep the slices nice and moist until they reach the judges' lips, as well as adding extra flavor. Dry brisket easily averted!

No, I've never won the brisket category doing this, but I have finished right up close to Buffalo, Twin Oaks, and the Head Country II boys with it. (Living in Oklahoma, I can't get around competing against some of the top "big boys" in the nation, darn it... no bottom feeding available around here.)

Just my 2-cents, for whatever that's worth these days. We'll be competing at Art of BBQ in Tulsa that weekend as well, so we'll with you in spirit!

Keri C, 4th year CBJ, 3rd year Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of Hot Wire BBQ

I luv ya Keri!!:biggrin:

In a sisterly kinda way that is..........:wink:

I don't like to get my cooker over 260. If I were you I would cook your brisket till it hits 195 to 198. I don't think 185 is high enough. That's just my opinion though. When you stick a probe in to take the temp it should have very little resistance and the brisket should kind of wobble like jello.

Steve - I assume you are referring to taking up to 195-198 in the flat and not the point as Kapn mentioned ??. I also prefer to go by resistance/feel as final measure of tenderness like most.

Back