42" RF Smoker Build

IMG_20120131_202038.jpg
IMG_20120131_202103.jpg
i learned the hard way and didnt do this before and lost a whole shelf of meat, FAIL, 5 second rule rocks!
IMG_20120131_202210.jpg

I finished the smoker today. I got the propane starter welded in, added the air vents, burned it out and did the final grind. Here are some pictures of the first wood burn:

SmokerBuild2-4-12.jpg

SmokerBuild2-4-122.jpg

SmokerBuild2-4-123.jpg

love the LP starter! can you put up a close pic? Thanks!

When it cools down, I will take a pic for you. Here is the starter that I got:

http://blueflamestore.com/plumbing/custom-12-liquid-propane-carded-straight.html

I drilled a hole in the firebox. Then, I took a 2" section of 1/2" threaded black pipe and welded it in place. The starter screws onto one end and the propane hose to the other. I had to put a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer to get it to fit. It works beautifully. I welded the pipe to the firebox instead of welding the starter so that I can change it down the road if it quits working.

Someone told me about the dangers of keeping the propane bottle that close to the firebox. Won't be doing that again!

That is one sweet patio cookin machine! You're gonna be serving Q out of that for years to come. I look forward to your next build!

the pit looks great, pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
did you ever weld the angle on the rails to keep shelf in the pit when extended?
also ive never built a reverse flow pit, is the opening on the left side the only opening for the smoke/heat to go through? im curious maybe ill add this element to my next build

Cool build. Thanks for posting all the info and pics. Id love to build my own pit if I had the time and the dime.

The build is finally done! I picked it up from the sandblasting/paint shop last night:

SmokerFinal2-10-12.jpg

SmokerFinal2-10-12B.jpg

SmokerFinal2-10-12D.jpg

I got them to sandblast the cooking grate because it had a good bit of rust on it:

SmokerFinal2-10-12C.jpg

That looks great, now it's time to build a bigger one! :wink:

I've already got an eye out for a 24"x60" pipe. Given how long it took me to find this one, it may be 10 years before I find a larger pipe.

I've already got an eye out for a 24"x60" pipe. Given how long it took me to find this one, it may be 10 years before I find a larger pipe.

Nah, now that you don't really need it, you will find all kinds of propane tanks and pieces of pipe!

Back