Steel thickness for smoke collector?

HillCountrySmoker

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Casey
I have an Old Country Brazos DLX, want to modify it and put a smoke collector on the stack end instead of the stock, pipe coming out of the side. I'm not much of a metal worker unfortunately so I was hoping to get some experienced folks to guide me here.
The smoker is 1/4" thick, but for the collector how thick of steel do I need to look for? I have my stack, got a spare fence post that someone gave me - looking to cut it to somewhere in the 40" height range so that will obviously be some weight. Would I need 3/16" or would 1/8" be strong enough? Planning to either weld or bolt the stack on like the Mill Scale version - still haven't decided if I want to put a flange on there to have it break down.
Thanks!

For modifying your Old Country Brazos DLX smoker, you're looking to add a smoke collector on the stack end instead of the stock pipe coming out of the side. You're wondering about the thickness of steel needed for the collector. Both 3/16" and 1/8" steel could work, depending on the weight and stress it will endure. Welding or bolting the stack are both options, with welding being more permanent and bolting allowing for easier disassembly. Adding a flange for breakdown is practical, but consider the trade-offs. It's advisable to consult experienced metalworkers for specific guidance. Good luck with your project!

Back