Canadian Bacon - Wet or Dry Cure??

B

bbqdano

Greetings Gents & Ladies,

When making Canadian bacon from a pork loin, have you had better luck with a dry cure or wet (brine) process prior to smoking?

Thanks in advance!!

I've only done it with a dry cure... Good stuff!

used only dry cure (buckboard bacon cure for 5 days) and turned out real good. Tenderquick works too.

I like to do both dry and brine cured canadian bacon, but the dry cure seems to be the most reliable/consistant method.

I use Morton Tenderquick's recipe of 1 Tablespoon of TQ mixed with 1 teaspoon of sugar PER pound of meat. Apply, then shake off any excess. Wrap and let it cure in the fridge.

Cold smoking is my favorite way to smoke CB, then I can use the uncooked bacon for a variety of dishes.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do! :-D

I use dry, and use BBB (Buck Board Bacon) really like it. JMO

Thanks to all!! Will be giving it a go here soon. Appreciate the info as always.

Dan

I put my pork loin in a brine for five days. You can make Canadian bacon or cook it a little longer and get some nice ham. Never tried a dry cure.

I use a brine to make british style bacon, and have had great results. It took a while to get it down consistantly, but it sure saves a lot of time over the dry cure.

I use a brine to make british style bacon, and have had great results. It took a while to get it down consistantly, but it sure saves a lot of time over the dry cure.

British style, eh.

Did you post results previously? If so, I missed them.

Got a brine recipe you can share?

PS, Hi Noah!

Back