Cooking For The Pros

queball

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Dig it my brothers. This weekend, Peyton and Eli Manning host their annual quarterback camp in my hometown and I have been invited to cook at the private dinner for the many professional athletes who volunteer at the camp. Rumor is that Favre and Brady will be in attendance this year. Cooking starts on Friday. Serving appx. 100 people alligator sauce picante, fried alligator, boiled shrimp, chicken fricasse,' and pork, chicken and sausage jambalaya. I am a successful, competitive jambalaya cook so that's my main focus. I agreed conditioned on them allowing me to serve some brisket. I cant wait.

Sweet! Sounds like a great time qb!

Wow

I hope that some of your 'bonus' will be an autographed football to commorate the event.....

Actually, no cameras, no autographs. This is supposed to be a let down night for the guys. I attended last year and it was a hoot. Those guys are freaking hugh and eat like killer whales.

Smoke them some fatties. Although being pro athletes, some might do that on their own.

Do well and they may be asking you for your autograph.

If you get close enough, kick Peyton Manning right in the nuts.

Thanks,
A serious Chiefs fan.

jgh1204 said:
Smoke them some fatties. Although being pro athletes, some might do that on their own.

Do well and they may be asking you for your autograph.

I thought about fatties myself.......

Hey queball, If you think the crowd may be a little upscale for fatties, do what I do in that situation: Call them Porque Fa-Tays and tell them they are French. :lol:

kcquer said:
If you get close enough, kick Peyton Manning right in the nuts.

Thanks,
A serious Chiefs fan.

Ditto.

Regards,

Houston Texans fan.

sounds like a blast! let us know how it goes. I say go for the fatty's!

queball said:
Actually, no cameras, no autographs. This is supposed to be a let down night for the guys. I attended last year and it was a hoot. Those guys are freaking hugh and eat like killer whales.

I'll betcha' .
I would take every "serving size" recommendation out there and quadruple it :lol:

Have fun!

TIM

... seems like that special jambalaya will tone down those big appetites after a couple big bowls! Put some extra heat in it to get a couple of those guys butts in gear this year ...

Congrats .... you should have a great and memorable night!

Sounds like a good time. Have fun!

QB, Your gonna have a farkin blast........and like the others said, slip in a couple of fatties along w/the brisket......You will be a farkin hero.
Good luck and enjoy.
Mike

"If you get close enough, kick Peyton Manning right in the nuts."

Ok, THAT'S funny.

Queball - do you have a jambalaya recipie that you can share? My mom makes a good one, but I'm always up for trying new things, especially ones with a little kick to them.

Way to go Qball. Toss em few ABT's while your at it.

this is my ingredient list
MEAT
□ 10 lbs Boneless Boston Butt (cubed)
□ 2 packages of Bacon
□ 3 packs chicken thighs (stripped)
□ 1 large Vernon’s andouille (cubed)
□ 3-4 lbs Rouse’s Garlic Ring sausage (sliced 1/4 inch slices)

SEASONING & VEGETABLES
□ 1 bunch fresh parsley
□ 2 bunches of fresh green onions
□ 4 large yellow onions
□ 1 bunch fresh celery
□ 4 bell peppers
□ 1 jar chopped garlic
□ whole Bay Leaf

SEASONING & VEGETABLES
□ 6 bags Zataran’s Extra Long Grain
□ 4 cartons Swanson chicken stock
□ salt
□ Cayenne pepper
□ Kitchen Bouquet

Preparation
Render the bacon until real crispy. Remove, chop and reserve bacon
In the bacon fat fry the pork until thoroughly cooked with lots of "gradoo" on the pot. Remove and reserve (there is a trick here. You have have to cook the water out of the pork you can tell that you have done so when the meat quits producing foam and runs clear. Anything short of that is a disaster as it messes with fluid to raw rice ratios and the meat aint tender.)
In the bacon fat fry the sausage until well browned. Remove and reserve
In the bacon fat fry the chicken until well browned. Remove and reserve
Sautee onions to deglaze the pot and then add peppers, garlic, celery until onions start to caramelize
At all meat back to the pot and slowly cook out as much water as you can. this is kind of a feel thing.
Add chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste, a little kitchen bouqet for color, and bring to rolling boil. Boil for about 10 minutes and taste for seasoning.
Add green onions, parsley and rice and allow to return to boil. Reduce to simmer and check for doness at 15 minutes and then 5 minute intervals thereafter.

Back