I have Venison for Jerky with a Capital "V"!!

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Neighbor just dropped off a 120 qt cooler loaded with a de-boned fresh buck packed in ice.
He guessed 110-120# live weight and probably well over 30# with all the trimming and de-boning.
Pulled up one ham from the top--gorgeous!!!!!

It is all (100%) going to jerky which I do on "halfsies" 8)

Gosh--I luv my neighbors! 8)

More later in the week when I make it.

TIM

Last edited:
Now that is a great neighbor!!!! I have some venison pastrami on the smoker now, doing it Cowgirls recipe! looking forward to the finished product

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out! I just picked up my doe from the locker today and plan to make some jerky.

Care to share your process? All my jerky in the past years has been made in my dehydrator, I'm wanting to try it in my WSM this time.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out! I just picked up my doe from the locker today and plan to make some jerky.

Care to share your process? All my jerky in the past years has been made in my dehydrator, I'm wanting to try it in my WSM this time.

This is what I do, as adapted to the cutting/trimming of venison:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83426

Simple-- marinade for awhile, smoke for awhile, and then finish in the dehydrator.

Good Eats

TIM

Thanks man! I hadn't thought of smoking a bit and then finishing in my dehydrator. :doh:

I've got an Excalibur dehydrator as well, love that thing!

i recently did a batch of moose jerky... Because it's so much leaner than my beef or pork jerky, one tip I do with my wild game jerky while it's still warm, is to lightly spray it with olive oil and shake a few pieces at a time in a plastic bag that has a little of the same seasoning in it. As it cools and dries, it develops a shine coat.

11-11-12015aa.jpg

11-11-12026aa.jpg

This has been an "Adventure" :redface:
He did a great job of de-boning. Took me about 4 hours to trim up the muscle groups of exterior fat and thick silver skin.

For now, I have about 1/3 of it totally processed.

Took 5 racks on my FEC 100 to smoke.

Deer1_zpsbe0507fb.jpg

Then, all 5 trays on my Excalibur 2500 for one load, then 1.5 more trays the next day to finish it up.

Yield was 55.6 oz or 27.8 oz for each of us. A loose pack gallon ZIP each.

deer2_zpsfc22bead.jpg

There are two 2.5 gal Zip Locks (loose pack) of the un-sliced meat remaining in the freezer for later.

By far the largest jerky project I have ever attempted.
Mrs Kapn said, "Be careful what you ask for...." :-D

I have smack wore out my slicer over the years and this deer "killed" it :redface:

Jerky overload around here---My son in Afghanistan is gonna be tickled when this arrives! :-D

Good Eats!!

TIM

Great looking jerky Tim!! You've been busy!! Please Thank your son for me for his service. :cool:

Back