Tie scores

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone know how exact same scores are handled in kcbs? Just wondering cause my boss and I did a contest and he got 1st and I got 2nd in chicken with the exact same score. Not a sore loser cause I was more than happy with 2nd and glad he got 1st because it was his 1st contest. I was just wondering how it works. Thanks

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2012_Rules.pdf

If there is a tie in one of the categories, it will be broken
by the computer, as follows: The scores will be compared
(counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative
scores in taste, then tenderness, then appearance. If still
tied, then the low score, which was thrown out, will be
compared and the higher of the low scores will break the
tie. If still tied, then a computer generated coin toss will
be used.

"computer generated coin toss". That made me laugh. Does no one have a coin with them at the judges tent?

Ties are common in KCBS. It sucks when you lose the coin toss, but imagine how much worse it is when you get a 180 and end up with second place!

No one wants to question the computer generated coin toss?

Seems like an actual coin toss might be more random. Depending on how random was actually implemented in the software.

We competed at a KCBS contest in Telluride, CO this past weekend and tied for GC with Johnny Trigg. That's the first time I ever saw a GC tie. We won the tie breaker and took the GC honors. I don't know what broke the tie and if it made it to the coin toss level or not.

It was quite a surprise when they called us as GC. They announced the top 5 in each category and we only got one call, first place ribs. For overall they only announced RGC and GC. I just about fell off my chair when they called our name. We had already given up hope. Turned out we placed 7th in chicken and pork and 6th in brisket.

I competed in Tryon one year and the top 5 brisket winners were all 180s. How would you like to get a 180 in brisket and come in 5th?

Garry

Well Gowan, you jinxed us this weekend with your comment above. $500 seperated 1st and 2nd place in each category in Rome, GA, and we lost the 180 tie breaker due to the 6th judge giving us an 8 in Appearance... :(

we lost our fourth overall and about tenth tiebreaker this year...tied for third in dana point and got fourth on a competer coin toss...Do you really thing that someone would lose real coin tosses every time? we had three category ties and lost everyone of those this week thats four tiebreakers this week alone

we lost our fourth overall and about tenth tiebreaker this year...tied for third in dana point and got fourth on a competer coin toss...Do you really thing that someone would lose real coin tosses every time? we had three category ties and lost everyone of those this week thats four tiebreakers this week alone

I replied to Big Poppa individual with this e-mail, which seems appropriate here:

There's actually a slight change in weighting of scores that will be implemented next year with the new scoring software (now in beta testing).

What this does is eliminate "false" ties, which occur now because appearance is exactly 1/2 of tenderness.

I always lose tie breakers too...

Candy

FYI -- The weighting change was approved by last year's board. Couldn't be implemented in BQwin.

I replied to Big Poppa individual with this e-mail, which seems appropriate here:

There's actually a slight change in weighting of scores that will be implemented next year with the new scoring software (now in beta testing).

What this does is eliminate "false" ties, which occur now because appearance is exactly 1/2 of tenderness.

I always lose tie breakers too...

Candy

What is a false tie?

What is a false tie?

I don't know as I can explain this in good math terms, but I'll try. You've got a final score which is compiled from 5 judges (low score dropped). Because appearance weight is exactly 1/2 of the weight of the tenderness score, you can end up with a "false tie" in that the final number is an exact match, even though the individual judges scores are not. If the weight of the appearance score is dropped down a couple of 100ths, a tie does not happen.

I don't know as I can explain this in good math terms, but I'll try. You've got a final score which is compiled from 5 judges (low score dropped). Because appearance weight is exactly 1/2 of the weight of the tenderness score, you can end up with a "false tie" in that the final number is an exact match, even though the individual judges scores are not. If the weight of the appearance score is dropped down a couple of 100ths, a tie does not happen.

Why would that be considered a false tie? Seems like it is just a tie?

Why would that be considered a false tie? Seems like it is just a tie?
While I am not certain, what they are trying to accomplish is that a team with better tenderness scores will win out over a team with better appearance scores, rather than tying, which is the purpose of weighting the scores to begin with.

Back