WSM Question...

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I bought a 2002 WSM (18.5) off CL for a C-note and it needs new cooking grates before my spousal unit is gonna eat anything cooked on it. Is there such a thing as an upgrade (cast iron?) grate for these things or is it just better to go to HD and buy the standard issue Webers?

I've never seen cast iron grates for the WSM and to be honest, I don't know why they would help anything.

When the grates just don't clean up anymore, I just buy new ones at HD.

Russ

I don't know if you'll find both grates at HD as they are different sizes.

The top cooking grate is Weber part # 70601 (17.5"), and the lower is 70701 (17").

You can call Weber for replacement parts:
1-800-446-1071

Their customer service is among the best I've ever experienced with any company.

I've never seen cast iron grates for the WSM
here is one:

we3.jpg

http://www.charbroil.com/cast-iron-kettle-grill-grate.html

The old grates usually clean up rather easily. A little oven cleaner on them then into a garbage bag for a day or so. A little rinse, a little scrub, a good slather of veggie oil, and a little time on the heat and they should be good to go. If the missus insists on new grates, keep the old ones as spares or for making double racks.

Cast iron grates don't make sense for a Low & Slow cooker like the WSM, but if you can find Stainless grates you are set for life

I would go with the regular grates for sure. Cast iron would be nice if you were searing food, however....the WSM is all about the low and slow! Enjoy!

Back