Craigslist scores! Weber Performer and a Outdoor Oven !

Parruthead

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well this is the weekends haul for me so far.. If I ever get a call back on the Orion Cooker I really want it will be a Trifecta for me this weekend!!

I saw this last weekend but the seller was out of town and today was the first chance we could get together, I bought this Vintage Coleman Outdoor military oven, It has a date stamp of 1951! It is gas powered and made out of stainless steel! If I can't make it function as oven to make bread outside it will be converted to a smoker.

Anybody with a armed forces career ever use something like this? Google didn't turn up much.

Then I found a Weber performer later on this afternoon. It came with 2 Chimney's and 35 pounds of charcoal, It needs a front caster and the ignition system repaired.

The kicker was it was 60 miles from my place and was with in 2 miles of the oven i had picked up this morning!:doh:

Attachments

• DSC_0989.jpg
    DSC_0989.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC_0987.jpg
    DSC_0987.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC_0997.jpg
    DSC_0997.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_0998.jpg
    DSC_0998.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 285
Poor old Performer needs some work there... But sure looks like a good score!

A redhead!!! Get some Bar Keeper's Friend... will clean a lot of that junk off.

I was a cook in my reserve unit in the early 70's and that is the type of stove we used all the time unfortunately I just don't recall how it was heated. I will go to the way back time machine and try to figure it out. I am sure someone will chime in that really has a handle on this stove. I do remember that they were efficient.

As I am editing this I seem to remember that there were 2 cylindrical gas tanks similar to pontoons with connections to the burner that was mounted between the the cylinders. This setup was mounted on rails so it could be slid in to the bottom of the oven .

I imagine you could use a propane tank with the appropriate size burner to conduct the fire.

Hope this helps.

Whats the best way to shine the kettle back up? Regular soap and elbow grease and with a little help from a pressure washer? I'm so excited to get to working on it problem is I'm busy all day :( I might get sometime to work on it this evening though..

Thanks porky for the info. Yes it does have some bottle type holders I think four one in each corner. There is still a burner assembly in there, Is that big round holder thing for a pot of some sort so that you can boil potatoe's or water?

Yes. that is correct, it held a big a-- pot.

The Performer looks like a nice project and a redhead to boot!!!

I would suggest disassembling the whole thing and clean each individual part and replace what's necessary. That way you'll have a brand spanking new Performer ready for active duty!!!

Ha, I emailed that guy yesterday about the performer. Explains why he didn't respond! Was debating whether it was worth the drive, but I am in Wausau for work every week or so.
That oven looks like a good score.

Pause for a commercial break. Polish Plus has a fantastic polish that works on SS. you can use a 2inch sanding disk with a paper towel of cloth. Will make it look like new.

http://polishplus.com/ Call and ask for the Brethren's discount.

Nice score Collin!!! You win this round! Let's see some pics when you get it cleaned up!

Nice score. I landed a SS Performer a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it no longer had the propane tank but I would not be able to refill it even if I had it. I am looking for a way to convert the burner to use the mini tanks. I just haven't found a good How To yet.

Great looking performer, well it has potential anyway ;)

I have an identical redhead I just fixed up. Get some BP blaster or your penetrating oil of choice and soak all the screws and bolts a few times before taking it apart.

I snapped a bolt connecting the brace on the bottom of the frame, the one that holds the tank bracket. I just used a bolt to hold the bracket but the missing bar really makes the whole thing wobbly when rolling it around.

Nice score. I landed a SS Performer a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it no longer had the propane tank but I would not be able to refill it even if I had it. I am looking for a way to convert the burner to use the mini tanks. I just haven't found a good How To yet.

You could probably use the assembly from a new style performer, Im sure weber can hook you up if you call them.

You might have to fab up a way to mount the assembly your self but thats the fun part.

Back