Offset build- firebox thickness?

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm building a large compressor tank into a trailer based offset. I've determined that the firebox will need to be approximately 30" square, but I need to determine the thickness of steel I should use. I'm definitely thinking 1/4" is the bare minimum, but I'm wondering if I'll notice much performance improvement with 3/8". The price difference is about $140 which isn't bad, but I'm wondering if there will be any noticed improvement and if it's worth the extra wait.

Any opinions are welcome! Thanks!

I have one with 1/2 steel but the steel was free , also have one with 1/4 steel it work great. Maybe do 3/8 split the difference. Also you might visit a junk yard or construction site and find some scrap

Once you get it hot, it will be more efficient with everything else being equal.

Where are you going to be using it? Back before David Klose starting insulating his fireboxes, he was recommending 3/8" for normal climates, and 1/2" for people wanting to use the smoker in the winter. I went with the 1/2" on my offset. For the $140 I would go 3/8 over the 1/4. You don't want it to ever burn through.

In riverside the thicker metal will not make as big of a difference since it doesn't get too cold in the winter - but you'll burn less to keep the same temp the thicker the steel so I'd use 3/8". If I had money to burn I'd use 5/8" SST

Was just at a local custom pit maker in my neck of the woods (Meadowcreek BBQ supply) checking out a backyard pit. All their fireboxes are 1/4" steel, sales guy said they will not warp at high temps. Don't see how 3/8 could be anything but better though.

The only problem with thicker is more weight. Not a real problem on a trailer, but on a backyard unit, weight is a factor.

Fred
Bandara brother who often has to load it in the truck by himself.

Where are you going to be using it? Back before David Klose starting insulating his fireboxes, he was recommending 3/8" for normal climates, and 1/2" for people wanting to use the smoker in the winter. I went with the 1/2" on my offset. For the $140 I would go 3/8 over the 1/4. You don't want it to ever burn through.

This is just to settle my curiosity, how do pitmakers insulate their fireboxes?

This is just to settle my curiosity, how do pitmakers insulate their fireboxes?

I don't have first hand experience but if I was doing it I would either user mineral wool or firebricks. And since I mentioned firebricks why doesn't the OP go with 1/8 firebox but insulated it on the inside with firebricks? The weight might go up but if you ever need to move the smoker by hand you can take out the firebricks and move them individually.

Mine is 3/8th, I realy don't see much difference that 1/4 thick pits I have used. I think the big difference comes with a double wall firebox with insulation between. That said thicker can't hurt.

My firebox is 30" wide, 26" deep and 26" high. I went with 3/8" steel and am really glad I did. My smoker is a 250 gallon propane tank that I made into a reverse flow smoker, and once I get it up to temp, its rock solid. Hope this helps.

How big is the firebox in relation to the cooking chamber? How thick is the tank? I would think if the tank is comparable to a propane, it is probably 3/16. If that is the case, I would go with 1/4". I envision a 1/2" thick firebox hanging off a 3/16" tank and think you could have a hotspot problem, not to mention a weight issue. :blabla:

How big is the firebox in relation to the cooking chamber? How thick is the tank? I would think if the tank is comparable to a propane, it is probably 3/16. If that is the case, I would go with 1/4". I envision a 1/2" thick firebox hanging off a 3/16" tank and think you could have a hotspot problem, not to mention a weight issue. :blabla:

My propane tank is 1/4" thick. The reverse flow plate is 1/4" thick. To see if I had any hot spots, I placed several biscuits on the grates throughout the smoking chamber and they all cooked about the same. Just saying.

Back