Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

264179_614784022744_201303364_33464064_6909198_n.jpg

Here's my UDS which I completed last week. Now that the bottom of the drum is nicely greased up the vent door operates smoothly by foot, no squatting down. Thanks for looking. :-D

Attachments

• P1060081.jpg
    P1060081.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,395
  • P1060083.jpg
    P1060083.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,386
  • P1060095.jpg
    P1060095.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,374
Here's my UDS which I completed last week. Now that the bottom of the drum is nicely greased up the vent door operates smoothly by foot, no squatting down. Thanks for looking. :-D

That intake is slick. Want to send a couple this direction?

Finally finished my UDS. This is the second one I've built, but the first one was for Dad on Father's Day. I kept it very simple and very economical. No welds. Got an old used Weber kettle for $10 that donated its lid and grill grate (took some MAJOR cleaning). In the end I decided to go with the brushed steel look. I hand sanded the outside then put a high temp clear coat on it. In hind sight, I should have just payed to get it sand blasted or bought a belt sander :roll:.
100_3586.jpg

100_3631.jpg

100_3630.jpg

I read the entire UDS thread (550+ pages) and did the first cook on mine this weekend. Did some fatties on Saturday and MOINK balls on Sunday. Everything turned out great!

Here's a shot of the smoker and charcoal basket ready for action.
Ready_to_Cook.jpg

Cooking away, fatties up to 152 degrees...
First_Cook.jpg

Fruits of second cook, MOINK!
First_MOINKs.jpg

I have already started on UDS #2 AND I have a stainless drum waiting in the wings....
VState_Planning.jpg

Stainless_1.jpg

I plan to retire next year. Looks like I've found a hobby that should keep me busy for a while. Building and using these things can be addictive!

Paul Worth
Quitman, GA

I had a good buddy give me this as a gift! Did a hot burn in it yesterday just to play with temp adjustment and give it a final cleaning. Temps seemed easier to hold than anything else I've used. Gonna smoke up something this coming weekend! Pork loin roast or maybe chickens....maybe both. :shock:

DSC_7338.jpg

DSC_7340.jpg

DSC_7339.jpg

I had a good buddy give me this as a gift! Did a hot burn in it yesterday just to play with temp adjustment and give it a final cleaning. Temps seemed easier to hold than anything else I've used. Gonna smoke up something this coming weekend! Pork loin roast or maybe chickens....maybe both. :shock:
[

Is that drum stainless?

It is.

I just did a little searching around here and found that my buddy's handle is MushCreek. I'm sure some of you recognize his handywork!

So, a great big public thank you to MushCreek! :)

Last edited:
It is.

I just did a little searching around here and found that my buddy's handle is MushCreek. I'm sure some of you recognize his handywork!

So, a great big public thank you to MushCreek! :)

The stainless steel drum makes that UDS worth at least $500 I estimate.

Finally finished my 1st UDS. Here are some pics. Recycled shelf & wheels. Weber lid, extended the tab inside the lid so I can hang it on the side on the barrel, grate hook on the side, (2) grates, (2) 10" turkey thermometers, (2) "fat man" handles for the 3/4" valves, (2) nipples 3/4", homemade charcoal basket with air flow ring, plow disk ash pan, and my favorite, a flame paint job with clearcoat (all 2000 degree header paint).
I wish I had a CNC machine or knew where to get a couple of pig shaped metal silhouette's. I would weld them on the "fat man" handles. I plan to make a wind proof paper towel holder for it too.

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

here is my version of a UDS i have built all kinds from the traditional vertical to completely custom but i like this one the most i built this one in a few hours without any real planing i mean this is a straight speed build so i am thinking about another one after i actually take a min. to think about it. i like the fact i can slow cook with indirect heat or make a fire on top for steaks an stuff.

IMG00637.jpg
i crimped top of cut off barrel with muffler crimping tool to accept lid / other end of barrel cut to about 2 inches from top in short made a tall barrel short

IMG00638.jpg

IMG00636.jpg
made a door an SS grate i have a SS basket i put my charcoal in it will sit on top of this grate when in use

IMG00635.jpg
added chimney i made from some stuff i had laying around all SS

IMG00634.jpg

IMG00652.jpg

split a barrel tig welded second SS chimney added temp gauge tig welded handle to top

IMG00654.jpg

IMG00600.jpg

pre sauce
0Ld3v18jUK1g3iTE3AG6kz05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8
POv2r6UqQEYjNbV2GX5dkT05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8
owo7-j9MTDet3heFsaBJIj05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8
0nKNHYoNgU23wMJBihb_iz05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8
ZMUD9coI2jBGbf2hXmWJ_T05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8
ZMUD9coI2jBGbf2hXmWJ_T05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8
tk53Mz8GVtRP0GdKkNEQxz05EFnmC5yDlhfWZXkPnS8

55 gallon uds

Let's all post pron of our UDS build in one, easy to find, thread. A couple of pics and a short description and a link to your original post would be very helpful to all who are building a new UDS and are looking for ideas.

I'll start:

Stainless Drum, Big Green Egg draft door, WSM grate w/ 3/4" x #9 expanded metal charcoal basket. Weber performer lid w/ 2" Bar-B-Kettle bottom insert. Commissioned 2/11/2010.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78156&highlight=simple+stainless

SSUDS.jpg

Gasket.jpg

4Basket.jpg

Where did you get the gasket and big green egg vent? I've been searching everywhere for them.

Back