Annual Northern Illinois Brethren Mid Winter Gathering, 2014 Edition!!! Place, Time and Date Confirmed!!!

I'm likely in too.

Any place works for me. I vote for Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse just because the owner showed up in this thread. We can just sit back and let him organize it. :wink:

I'd like to make it too! Do you farkers bring the spouses or is it just the Brethren?

Rub's is cool, took the class there in Oct. Jared is a good guy, if you haven't been I would strongly recommend it.

Haven't been to Big Ed's but I'm gonna try it this week and see what he has going on.

Do you farkers bring the spouses or is it just the Brethren?

Some certainly do, its varies widely.

There are competitors there, some whose wives are part of their team and know other people from the comp season, there are backyarders there and some of the wives are pseudo-brethren and enjoy the site but use their spouses ID to read up here, etc.

Personally, my wife has no interest in talking BBQ for 3 hours so she has not interest in going whatsoever.

Few have even brought kids to prior events, but I haven't been able to go the past two years, and one year we had it at Dave and Busters more of a place to just gather, rather than needing a BBQ specific place so I'm not sure about that. I just don't know.

In fact, I don't think I have seen Divemaster since Dave and Busters :(

So I guess the question is, can your wife stand being around and talking to BBQ folks for a few hours? If so, by all means, bring her along!

I would be in for Rub's I went for his cooking class and the food was amazing!

So far the suggested places are...

Real Urban BBQ, Vernon Hills, IL (North suburbs)
Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse, Rogers Park, IL (North side of the city)

So what's the haps? Planning my January calendar, let's get this going!

Is this the same big ed's that started in North Chicago on MLK? If so I tried them when they first opened and was disgusted. Any way I hate going to IL but wouldn't mind meeting up for a nice meal with you guys. Captain Porky's used to be in Zion and was just ok,they moved to Wadsworth but I haven't tried the new place. IIRC they are the same family that runs the Shanty next door.

So what's the haps? Planning my January calendar, let's get this going!

I'm going to try to make some calls on Monday to sort out the options and then make a decision.

I'm in. I should be able to pull off any of the days and dates mentioned. And any of the places would be ok too.

I'm going to try to make some calls on Monday to sort out the options and then make a decision.

If it's not too late, I wouldn't mind Chicago q. Food is great, the owner is great and there is plenty of room. :thumb:

I'm in provided no family commitments creep in.

OK...

I've put out some requests for more info.

Here is what I see for possible attendees. Please let me know how many if it's more than one.

Bluesman
Grabnabber (2 adults, 2 kids)
BillM
ITBFQ
cmohr74
T-Bone44 (4)
Smokin' Deal
SCSmoke
SuperQue
Neotrout
MugsterDad
Fishin4bass723
2 Bones BBQ
Stoke&Smoke (2)
oifmarine2003
---k---
TroyA65
scayne62
illinois smoker
Pig Daddy
superlazy
Chicagokp
kwas68 (2)

Total - 31

Last edited:
Ron,

I may have as many as 4 attendees, depending on date and location.

Thanks for doing all of the legwork.

Tom
T-Baum bbq

The 18th works better for me but I might still be able to do the 26th. Depends on the time

OK guys...

I've been talking with Jared at Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse, www.backcountryq.com, and the only Saturday that he has available in January or February is January 11th. He would put out a buffet of Pork, Chicken, Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, Mac N Cheese, Smoked Beans, Custard Filled Cornbread, and some Cobbler for dessert. The price would be in the $20 - $25 per person range. The event would run from 2 - 5pm and would be in their pit room and possibly the dining room depending on the final numbers. I've attached some pictures of both rooms.

Please let me know as soon as possible if this OK and if you can make it.

I have not gotten a response from the other two places (Big Ed's and Real Urban) yet, but with the holidays they could be off or busy. We need to make a quick decision on Rub's because the date is approaching quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 73
Do you farkers bring the spouses or is it just the Brethren?
SWMBO came to the last one in Wheaton. Her primary interest in BBQ is enjoying what I prepare. She seemed to enjoy the visit.

I've just sent her an email to see if she wants to attend this one so I can say "in for one" or "in for two."

Edit: In for two (Hank and Cindy) :grin:

Not suggesting we go there at this late date but has anyone checked out Roger D's new place Firewater in Crest Hill?

Back