THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Since I smoke food, everyone thinks I can cook everything. So....

I was signed up to do the chili cook off for our campground Olympics.

I'm taking a first shot at Wampus' brisket chili. I have the dry ingredients marinating in a mason jar starting tonight. I smoked a small brisket Tuesday night using BPS Jallelujah Bacon rub and Money rub (Fan-Freaking-Tastic!).

I guess this question goes out to Wampus: If turn-in is at 11:30 am Saturday, what time do I want to the combined mixture to start simmering?

I'm not sure how Wampus does it, but I would cook a day ahead of time and cool down to let the flavors meld overnight and reheat.

My take on his recipe is that the chili is simmered a total of 3 hours. He says it will be done at 2 hours but suggests that it be simmered 3 hours.

On track so far. Going to simmer two hours tonight and then put it on three hours before turn-in tomorrow. Brisket goes in 1/2 hour before turn in. Flavor profile is good. Excellent taste with heat down the stretch.

Simmered for two hours last night.

This morning I woke up and did a quick taste test. That "powdery" substance you see on the surface is some Jallelujah Jalapeno Bacon rub from BPS. I also added a little salt and it seems just about right. I'm not going to fark with it anymore and ruin it. I'll have another pic when I add the brisket, and I'll try to shoot some video when people start tasting.

Back