Chicken Injection

R

rmontananyc

Hi does anyone have a good chicken injection? I was thinking salt sugar cider and worcestershire

Butchers Original Bird Booster is a great product. I used it this past weekend and it produced some darn moist chicken!

A good brine works wonders on chicken....1 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon water. Add whatever else you like for flavor.

I brine mine
1/2 Gal water
1/4 cup pickle salt
1/4 cup honey
Brine 2 hrs Lb
rinse, pat dry, season & cook.

I don't inject anymore. Used quite a bit of doctor'd butter for awhile and don't like the timing restraints for competing using that product. As said brining will out perform most other methods.Look up Shake's Honey Brine and use as a guide. Many turkeys and yardbirds have benefitted in moisture and flavor. Butcher's and Kosmo's both have good products. When I make brines they always have some sweet pop, root beer, creme soda,sprite along with some rub and a form of vinegar. Balance and volume of salt, sugars and water will determine soak times. Stubb's has a decent marinade for a change of pace. My best one's are when there's a bunch of good stuff, herbs, pop and whatever sauce I'm going to use in the brine. Endless combinations, and most are great. Steve.

I used some rub ground in a coffee grinder and mixed with apple juice for my injection. Came out Awesome

I would suggest a light oil such as sunflower seed or the light flavored olive oil and a little salt or some rub. I think that would add some good moisture retention and get some flavor to the meat while allowing the chicken to taste like chicken! I personally however prefer brining with 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar to 1/2 gallon of water. Bring the water to a boil, turn off the heat and add the salt, sugar and other seasonings or flavors you may wish. I always throw in a couple of garlic buttons and some onion!:wink:

I always brine my chicken. I do like salt, but 1 cup of salt has always been too salty for me unless its a very short brine.

My brine:
1/2 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 gallon water

Then I inject with melted butter and a a bit of my chicken rub. Need to get flavoring in the poultry, not just on the outside IMO

Never found a need to inject chicken. Whole chickens deserve a brine though. Just don't overdo.

I follow Modernist Cuisine's method of injecting apple juice and milk into turkey breast a leaving for a couple of hours. Fantastic results for turkey I imagine the same method would work for chicken. But you will probably need to inject via the cavities to preserve the skin and help in getting a crisp skin.

I use this stuff called pap and Elmer's chubby chicken. no complaints whatsoever

Funny you mention this stuff, I saw this the other day but haven't heard a darn thing about it. I'll have to try it out. A well known competitor down here said he injects with doctored up chicken stock.. his chicken is good and usually places well.

thanks everyone for all of the great ideas... it seems the general consensus is to brine rather than inject... i also forgot to add im going to spatchcock the chickens which is my preference in cooking birds( more even cook IMO). i have to watch the salt because of my high blood pressure but im sure some wont hurt me.

Back