scored a truckload of black cherry

whenyeastattack

Found some matches.
Reaction score
The northeast may not be BBQ mecca, but there are some bbq-related perks to living here. Like when a cherry tree falls on your neighbor's property:

u8fPrri.jpg

Does anyone know - is black cherry easier to split when it's green or after it's seasoned? I made the mistake of letting the logs from a white oak that fell on my property sit for a year before splitting it, learned it would have been much easier to split green.

Nice score.

I burn a fair amount of black cherry in my wood stove. Even though it is a soft, lightweight wood, it can be surprisingly difficult to split due to it being crooked, stringy, and knotty. I'd say probably not much difference between splitting it green vs. dry.

Cut those branches down to their final length as soon as possible, though. That will help them season out faster.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll clean up the long bits this weekend. I just wanted to get out of the neighbor's yard as quickly as I could, didn't want to be running a chainsaw outside their window for too long.

Cherry is one of the easiest splitting woods. Green, seasoned, don't matter. It POPS! apart. Love splitting cherry.

Great score!

split it now and it will season faster and I only season mine for a month or two tops but used it mixed with Hickory or Pecan .

Back