Turkey Legs, 3-2-1 or no foil?

dapittboss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I found tons of info on turkey legs here, BUT, it seems to be kinda split on weather I should cook them like ribs (3-2-1) or just throw them on for 2 or 3 hours till cooked. I know this subject has been done alot already but I just want to know if you do them in foil, or not. (I guess I could try both ways and see what I like better, but you guys always seem to have the right answer)

Never smoked turkey legs. The ones on the full birds I smoke turn out good though and I never foil a bird.
I think trying it both ways for a comparison is a great idea plus then you can let the rest of us know which way is best!

I would not reccomend 3-2-1. I cook them for about 3 hrs. so 6 seems be way too much. Maybe try 1-1-1. As for me. they are great just for 3 in the smoke, pull and eat. Why change something that is so good and so simple? Let us know what you do.

I, sheepishly, cannot add to this.

Every time I read about turkey legs, I want to try the.

They sell turkey breasts seperate, but do they sell legs?

willkat98 said:

You can get anything that you want...at Alice's Restaurant...including Alice. :roll:

willkat98 said:

Here, it's easier to get the legs than it is to get the breasts.

willkat98 said:

Yes they do.

There use to be a great market on Irving Park Rd. in Wooddale called the Produce Plaza that had an excellent meat counter. I'm sure they would have them if Jewel or Dominicks don't.

BigdogSmoker said:
willkat98 said:

You can get anything that you want...at Alice's Restaurant...including Alice. :roll:

Oh come on, how can you pass on the "Kiss my grits" line this is screaming for?

I have done a lot both ways--love them both.

3-2-1 (being sure to get to 180) gives a very moist meat with a soft skin.
Even "back in the heat" unwrapped for some time does not produce a skin as good as unwrapped. JMHO
Unfoiled in the smoke to 180 degrees gives a crispier skin.
Still not dry or anything--just not dripping moisture from the meat.

Like with any poultry, I prefer higher heats--275 (+/-) typically

Try a few with both methods--see which you prefer and go from there.
Cheap and easy to try.

Just my nickle.

TIM

I do mine 3-2-1, wrapped, then I either roll over coals, or I remove the skin. If I gonna remove the skin, I put the seasonings under the skin. I also inject with cajun butter injection (Tony C's). They're always great.

They sell wings and thighs seperate also!

I also rub, inject and fry legs and thighs. Yum-O! :D

BigdogSmoker said:
I would not reccomend 3-2-1. I cook them for about 3 hrs. so 6 seems be way too much. Maybe try 1-1-1. As for me. they are great just for 3 in the smoke, pull and eat. Why change something that is so good and so simple? Let us know what you do.
Just caught your post.
What size are the turkey legs you get?
Ours run 1.5 to 2# or more. :twisted: Hard to get them suckers done in under about 4 hours, at best.
Smaller ones in the 1 # range would require a lot less time.
I do adjust cooking time for size of the turkey legs. Looking for 180 degrees to be totally accurate.
Maybe I should have been more specific--sorry :lol:
TIM

The ones I've been able to get have been less than a pound apiece, probably close to 3/4#. I did mine until they pulled back from the bone and read 180. Then crisped up the skin just a little on a grate in the firebox. Wrapped a little piece of foil over the bone end for a handle. Awesome. Can't remember the exact time - 2-3 hours?

kapndsl said:
BigdogSmoker said:
Just caught your post.
What size are the turkey legs you get?
Ours run 1.5 to 2# or more. :twisted: Hard to get them suckers done in under about 4 hours, at best.
Smaller ones in the 1 # range would require a lot less time.
I do adjust cooking time for size of the turkey legs. Looking for 180 degrees to be totally accurate.
Maybe I should have been more specific--sorry :lol:
TIM

I have been doing the small ones, under 1 lb. each. Good point. Size matters. :shock:

Ok...

This conversation and Alton Brown made me go out and get a coupla turkey legs. My Mother-in-law gave us a bunch of greens so I decided to smoke one to season the greens. The other one is for me!!!!

Here's how my Turkey legs came out...

any bets as to which one went to the greens? Them some fine legs there Mista.

Nice legs Mista. The large one in the front looks perfect, but the smaller one looks over cooked based on how far it pulled back off the bone.

Bigdog said:
Nice legs Mista. The large one in the front looks perfect, but the smaller one looks over cooked based on how far it pulled back off the bone.

Them greens won't care :D

Perfect example of different leg sizes

thillin said:
Bigdog said:

Them greens won't care :D

Perfect example of different leg sizes

You are right! The greens didn't care! Actually I enjoyed the turkey leg more after it was cooked in all that pot likka than I did the greens themselves!

I've done turkey legs... never foiled 'em. Basically I coat the little bastages in black pepper and smoke em for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Then I drink a beer and listen to Arlo Guthrie.

Back