Food Safety - Coolering - URGENT

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know we have discussed this before, but I really need a firm answer on this one.

I finished 3 picnics and two racks of ribs tonight around 8. They are wrapped in foil and coolered right now. Hot as hell.

Now, the party for these things is tomorro around 6. I will need to unwrap and pull around 5. 21 hours total

Please tell me I can just keep them in the cooler and they will still be fairly hot tomorrow. This is a well-insulated cooler and there are towels filling in all the air, so I got it packed to capacity. The ads for this cooler says it will keep drinks cold in ice for 5 days.

If i can't leave them in there until then, when should I put them in the fridge, should I leave them unpulled and how should I reheat.

Thanks in advance.

B

They should be fine and leave them un-pulled until your ready for them to be pulled.
I have one of the food insulated holders that loses about 1-3 degrees of heat an hour. I have smoked butts and put them in the holder until 5 or 6 in the morning before taken them out and pullin them, they were still pretty warm. Also do this at contests, smoke brisket and butt until about 4-5 in the morning and then put them in the holder until just before turn in, Never had a problem.

Blutch, am anxious to see the brethren suggestions on this. Why cook so early?

They should be fine and leave them un-pulled until your ready for them to be pulled.
I have one of the food insulated holders that loses about 1-3 degrees of heat an hour. I have smoked butts and put them in the holder until 5 or 6 in the morning before taken them out and pullin them, they were still pretty warm. Also do this at contests, smoke brisket and butt until about 4-5 in the morning and then put them in the holder until just before turn in, Never had a problem.

Still good and firm and not overcooked?

Blutch, am anxious to see the brethren suggestions on this. Why cook so early?

I'm a musician and had all day off today, but I work tomorrow from 9 am until 3.. the party is at 5-6. I could have started later today, but I also had a concert tonight and had to leave it to my wife to finish and she almost farked it up and burned down the deck. :)

B

Still good and firm and not overcooked?
Never had any problems, took reserve grand champ at the last contest we did in 2006:wink: Imagine you will have other replies to this, just in my experience I have never had an issue and the food has been great.

I'm a musician and had all day off today, but I work tomorrow from 9 am until 3.. the party is at 5-6. I could have started later today, but I also had a concert tonight and had to leave it to my wife to finish and she almost farked it up and burned down the deck. :)

B

Sound like almost a bummer on the deck. Hey, if the Q is good, build a new deck. LOL!

21 hours in a cooler?

throw in the fridge and reheat

Never had any problems, took reserve grand champ at the last contest we did in 2006:wink: Imagine you will have other replies to this, just in my experience I have never had an issue and the food has been great.

Enought said Bro. I learn so much from this forum all the time. It is awsome to see what works in so many different ways. Thanks.

21 hours in a cooler?

Yeah, I think I would have pulled and sliced and stuck them in the fridge when I got home from work. I've kept items coolered for about 12 hrs before, but I don't think much longer than that. If you did keep them cooler and unpulled, you SHOULD be ok though. Good luck, let us know hot it turned out.

Yeah, I think I would have pulled and sliced and stuck them in the fridge when I got home from work. I've kept items coolered for about 12 hrs before, but I don't think much longer than that. If you did keep them cooler and unpulled, you SHOULD be ok though. Good luck, let us know hot it turned out.

They are tightly coolered this morning and unpulled and the temp on one of them is 153.

At this point I don't mind reheating a bit, but I'm wonding if I need to refrigerate at this point for saftey reasons. There are 9 hours to go.

Opinions? Throw in the fridge now?

B

I would have put them in the fridge last night but if you're gonna stretch it out in the cooler... add some really hot water to the cooler to get the temp up. Just makr sure the meats are well protected in a bag or aluminum pan do they don't get wet.

I would have put them in the fridge last night but if you're gonna stretch it out in the cooler... add some really hot water to the cooler to get the temp up. Just makr sure the meats are well protected in a bag or aluminum pan do they don't get wet.

Or--stick them in a 170 deg (or so) oven to hold.
Hope they do not overcook.

If in doubt--frig them.

JMHO here. I am one of the "better safe than sorry" guys on this subject.

TIM

Well, I just threw em' in the fridge before leaving for work. They sure were hot to the touch. I hate to reheat them, but Ithink that was inevitable whether I put them in the fridge or not, so why not be sure they are safe?

Thanks for the advice. I hope they aren't all dried out when we reheat..

everyone agree - keep in the foil and reheat in the oven at 250-300?

What about the ribs?/ I'm thinking of doing those on the grill with some glaze...

B

They are tightly coolered this morning and unpulled and the temp on one of them is 153.

At this point I don't mind reheating a bit, but I'm wonding if I need to refrigerate at this point for saftey reasons. There are 9 hours to go.

Opinions? Throw in the fridge now?

B

I know I've read somewhere that food that falls below 140F becomes susceptiple to bacteria. It was in a Cooking Light (yeah yeah) or one of the many cook books I've perused. At this point I'd toss in the fridge.

That or like someone else said, into the oven. I did a pork butt and a brisket for the superbowl. Decided to cook it the night before. Wrapped up tight in multi layers of foil and tossed in a 200F oven for about 16 hours before we were going to eat. They were both perfectly juicy and tender. So I actually think I would go that route right now, as long as you got someone home with the oven.

yeah.. no one home to tend the oven.. not that it needs much.. but.. I'll have plenty of time to reheat so no worries...

B

21 hours in a cooler?

There's no way, you need to get those things cold as fast as possible and reheat them today when your ready to eat. 21 hours in a cooler WILL NOT WORK!!!! Big Food safety hazard not to mention your stuff will be waaaaaaayy dry....:wink: Just my $.02. Remember when you cooler meat they still tend to "cook" inside the cooler because the temps don't drop fast enough.

Well, I put them in the fridge this morning and they reheated very well. The pork picnic roasts were just perfect. Perfect smoke smell, perfect texture.. plenty of moisture. I chopped it then put it in the oven covered for about an hour and it was yummy.

The ribs when on the charcoal grill with some sauce.. they were incredible. Very good.

Thanks for all the great advice here.

B

Back