U S A Foods in Australia

Titch,please loose your Avatar, it's making the kids cry.
She's made all of Australia cry.......
"Bean Gillard" would probably make a better PM than Julia.

But back on topic, I work for the Aussie division of a large American corporate, and we often have Americans come to visit. They seem to love our Tim Tams better than we like the Oreos, but one thing they just can't find here is good pork rinds. I wasn't sure what they meant until one guy explained it to me - and I can see why they'd be in demand.
The closest we get are the pork chips that Nobbys do, and another obscure brand has some too, but apparently they're nothing like the 'good stuff' from the US.

Some of the ex-pats who have taken up permanent residency in Oz buy big bags of hershey kisses from USA Foods & CostCo, and I must say, they are quite a nice little treat in the office in the afternoon.

It is common for Americans to be surprised at how much our meals cost in a restaurant, and at the grocery store.
Back in Feb, I took a guy from South Carolina into a local grocery store to buy some Tim Tams to take back home with him. We checked out the meat counter, and he reckons the Aussie lamb was noticeably cheaper in the US than what our prices are locally (and we converted kg to pounds to make it accurate!). He also couldn't believe we pay $19/kg for a rack of pork ribs either, saying they were 1/4 to 1/3 the price back home. A 2kg pork shoulder was around $20, which works out to AU$9.00/pound - and considering the $ is close to parity, it's a fair comparison.

It seems we get reamed no matter what.... which brings us back to Julia....

Funyuns and cheez- its!! Tapatio sauce for sure. If you haven't had the Embasa canned chipoltle chiles you must try them. Good stuff. Los Chileros Chile Pequin. These are one of my favorite dried chiles. Herdez Salsa Casera Hot. Old bay for sure. Lawrys seasoned salt. DR. Brpwns diet black cherry soda.

Those Louisiana hot sauces are killer too!
Padawan Phound those at our local supermarket couple of days ago...yesterday I've tasted the horseradish and wasabi version,they're mighty tasty!
Frank's and Cholula are always good to have in house.

Get yoohoos and cherry dr pepper.
Mexican anything soda are normally far and beyond way better than anything you can get. Like the mexican coke, also buy jaritos if they have em.

Lol they sell Tab cola.

Sweet Baby Rays hickory and brown sugar sauce is awesome. JD sauce is good also. Dont bother with bullseye and KCM.

Nutter Butters are fantastic.

chilicheese fritos and funyuns.

For beverages: Cherry Coke, Mexican Coke, Arnold Palmer iced tea (low calorie is better tasting imo)

Snacks: Flamin Hot Cheetos, Takis Fuego, Funyuns,

Candy: 100 grand, baby ruth, hersheys with almond

Cereal: Cheerios (american classic), cinnamon toast crunch (very sweet)

Spreads: Jif Peanut butter (for the record i prefer skippy)

Canned good: la costena pickled jalapenos

Bbq stuff: other posters have already suggested the good stuff.

Hot Sauce: Tapatio (good on crisps, soups, popcorn etc.), Frank's red hot sauce (good on fried chicken, makes great hot wing sauce), Valentina (milder version of Tapatio), Sriracha hot chili sauce (used for asian dishes)

Sauces: Frenchs yellow mustard ( i hate mustard, but my understanding is that the mustard in the uk is very different than the concept in the US. I'm assuming that the Australian concept of mustard is more in line with the european concept than the american concept).

Mexican Groceries: embasa chipotle peppers,

American groceries: vlasic pickles (i despise pickles but most people love them),

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I was very dissapointed,the shelves seemed very bare to me.
More packaged stuff that I was not really interested in.Lollies and drinks ,cereals,and prepackaged additives for slow cooking etc.
maybe the online shop has more.
Most beans etc ,of the stuff can be bought local for much less.
I did grab some seasonings that I thought might be interesting,remembering us Aussies generally do not rub meats much.
I probably won't bother again.
I am sure they only stock what they can move that helps the homesick.

002Medium_zps88e3dc4a.jpg

Walkerswood is a sensationally good product Titch.
I have a achiote from Chicagokp but haven't used any yet, good choices I think!

I forgot to warn you, they sell Pop Tarts.
We used one from each pack, threw the lot out.
The amount of sugar sweetness masked any flavour, we couldn't handle it.

I like the original coca cola over cherry. Not sure what coca cola is like in the AU, but when I went to europe, the coke was not as good as the coke cans/bottles here in the states, but the mexican stuff is pretty darn good as well. I don't drink it often, but my favorite is probably the coke on tap, especially at McDonald's in the states.

I like the original coca cola over cherry. Not sure what coca cola is like in the AU, but when I went to europe, the coke was not as good as the coke cans/bottles here in the states, but the mexican stuff is pretty darn good as well. I don't drink it often, but my favorite is probably the coke on tap, especially at McDonald's in the states.

I know you are right about coke, for sure.
I lived away from Australia a long time, when I came back I noticed it.
Also, I love Jack Daniels, but the NZ produced stuff that they sell here is bloody awful in comparison, I don t drink it yet when the US product was sold here, it was my go to.

Hey Titch. over here in the Wait Awhile state we can get the fully range of Louisianna Hot Sauces.... I saw a bloke selling some at the Fremantle markets and he had the lot .... I took a few different bottles home to N.Z. at new years and am now looking to get some more for my crash pad here in Perth. We also get Louisianna Gold range in supermarkets and the Jalapeno lime wing sauce is awesome. There was also some ghost chilli sauce from somewhere that looked like fire in a bottle so I didnt touch it.

Dont bother too much about buying rubs, get a mortar and pestle and dried chillies from any asian foods place and using the recipes on here make your own.
Steer clear of anything with cherry in the name .... It'll be sweet and yukky as all heck.

If we got these things over here in WA you must have a lot more in the real world east of the Nullibor.
Muzza.

Back