Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

I'm skeptical that cold temperature is affecting the propane to the point where it is not flowing. And I doubt you need to heat trace the lines. From http://www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm
As the propane passes through the regulator, it expands (resulting in sub zero temperatures) and causes the regulator to gradually reach the extremely cold temperature of the propane vapor passing through it.
This implies that propane is at subzero temperatures during normal operation.

But if you have any doubts about this, I suggest you contact your propane dealer. If cold weather is actually a problem, they will be aware of it and know how to deal with it.

I also highly doubt that there is water in the propane. It is possible that the regulator is malfunctioning. Again, this would be a good question for your propane dealer as they would probably be the right people to talk to about getting it checked and/or repaired.

Marubozo, hang in there buddy. Can't wait to try your vittles. Next time I visit my brother in Chicago I want to take a little side trip to Niles to try some good ole southern Michigan style BBQ. I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Tracked down the problem with the smoker. It's a bad ignition module. A replacement will be here on Wednesday and under warranty so it won't cost me anything. First good news I've had in a while.

Glad to hear the smoker was such a simple fix.
Hoping you get the other call and things start rolling the way the smoker did.
Nice and easy..........

Tracked down the problem with the smoker. It's a bad ignition module. A replacement will be here on Wednesday and under warranty so it won't cost me anything. First good news I've had in a while.

Buy an extra. These fail more often than one would like to know. Also error code seven means the smoker's temp probe is too cold to let the smoker ignite. Hold a wet rag soaked in hot water on the probe for 30 secs and then restart it. Don't ask me how I know these. Just that I live in mn. ;)

Buy an extra. These fail more often than one would like to know. Also error code seven means the smoker's temp probe is too cold to let the smoker ignite. Hold a wet rag soaked in hot water on the probe for 30 secs and then restart it. Don't ask me how I know these. Just that I live in mn. ;)

Yeah, I've had error 7 a few times, but luckily I caught that in the manual before freaking out. And I plan on buying an extra module just in case for the future. I'd much rather lose an hour replacing it myself than losing a day or two waiting for it to arrive.

It sounds like your almost there. Good thing you were financially ready but soon you will reap the rewards.

ok - all of the parts HAVE to be in by now, right?
We are all pulling for ya!

Glad to hear that was a quick and simple fix. Now if the rest comes out as good as that did, you will be sharing stories of people waiting out the door before long. Hope it all works out REAL soon for you. I know this has been one hell of a journey thus far.

No parts. Well, the smoker is getting fixed in the morning. But left two messages with the other company to see when they were coming to install the other stuff, and haven't heard back. Ridiculous.

In a strange turn of events, the health inspector has been calling repeatedly the past few days asking when he can come out and make us official, but he won't waiver on the mechanical issue. Also ridiculous.

There is still a glimmer of hope that they will tell me tomorrow that they can come and button things up on Friday, get the inspectors on board to come sign off on it all, and be open for the weekend. But fark me, I've lost any sense of optimism at this point.

At least we're participating in a chili cook-off this weekend. Going up against a few other local restaurants and there's money and trophies to be won, so maybe I can pull something off at that. Another trophy to display at the restaurant wouldn't be a bad thing.

If I was any where near you - I would install those parts myself:)
Fingers crossed they show up today.

Hang in there bro, it will happen for you and the place will be a great success! I just skimmed this entire thread, SHEESH! You have been through the ringer!

O M G. Just finished the entire thread. Your resilience is amazing. I think I'd have checked my insurance policy & burned the place down by now. I have family in Indiana & will definitely make a point to come see you over the spring/ summer.
With all you've been through, any brethren available should make the trip to try your Que. Best of luck & may your trials pass quickly.

Keith
Smokin Arsses Barbeque Team
KCBS member
Zion IL
Weber kettle, ECB X 2, CharBroil barrel grill, Maverick ET73

I can certainly see how you could lose optimism after all this BS, but I have not. This is just going to be a story in no time at all. You are going to be too busy to worry about this, we all know it.

Please remember how all of the Brethren are channeling they're love and concern for you, as we check in daily waiting for good news.

Looking forward to seeing grand opening pictures, don't dare forget to take many even as you are swamped with customers. Dave

Good luck at the chili cook off this weekend, and especially getting the restaurant opened up! Looking forward to coming in and trying some good que, when everything is said and done

Back