Pizza the Dustin way

I too cannot find 00 locally, even the Fresh Market doesn't carry it. I got this - basically they take the BIG bags of flour, break it down into smaller bags and resell the smaller bags. Totally worth it!

It is different, its much, much softer flour/dough. It's much easier to work with when shaping, it stretches (without springing back) much easier. We make pizza about every week and a half or so, so that bag of flour lasts us a while.

This^^^

There are some who will say no need to use 00 flour when not cooking at 750 plus, but for me, the feel of the 00 flour and how it performs when used on a steel is just superior to AP flour for the kind of pies I like (neo type with light airy crumbs, soft on the inside, crunchy on the rim). I have a Blackstone (not used anymore) and thats where I started using 00 flour, but if you increase HR and aim for 4-5 minute pies and use a steel at 550-600 degrees, the results can be outstanding.

If you are more into NY style with a bit more body to the crust and able to hold more toppings, then AP or bread flour (or mix of the two) would likely be better.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I want to try the parchment paper method you describe. I love making pizza, but for some reason I'm always fighting with it to get the pie off the peel and onto the stone. Sticks like crazy, regardless of how much I dust the dough or peel with flour, corn meal, what have you.

I think you may have the solution.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Last edited:
I want to try the parchment paper method you describe. I love making pizza, but for some reason I'm always fighting with it to get the pie off the peel and onto the stone. Sticks like crazy, regardless of how much I dust the dough or peel with flour, corn meal, what have you.

I think you may have the solution.

That super peel looks pretty sweet!!

I hear the dough sticks to metal peels much more so than wooden. That's why some people have two peels, a wooden for loading, and a thin metal for retrieving.

My peel is made of a composite material (it's the same stuff used as the ramp surface at skate parks - https://www.epicureancs.com/about/ ) and the issue I have is if I build the pie on the peel (adding the sauce, toppings, etc) by the time I'm done it will sometimes stick. If I build the pie first, then I make a mess trying to get it onto the peel. And then, I end up throwing flour all over the inside of the oven. So the cheater parchment paper method works well for me haha.

And, it prevents catastrophes like this.

S31tvO6h.jpg

Back