Bulk Charcoal

SmokenIdaho

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is the best way to load a UDS to get the longest burn?
I am thinking to fill the basket with Charcoal and a few pieces of apple then light a chimney full and put it on the top of the basket so the burn must go from top to bottom just to make it last.
Now that I have said that how do you really do it? These pellets have got me spoiled.

I believe most UDS users do the Minion method you described. I don't know if they start with a whole chimney though.

I flip my chimney over and use the small side for charcoal. Maybe 10-12 pieces?

I start 10-15 in a chimeny and dump it on top just like you said if i need it up to temp fast or want a hotter cook dump a whole chimney

Haven't heard of this method before, might have to give it a try. My fire basket is removable from my ash pan so, i'll stuff the ash pan full of newspaper then put fire basket on top in the middle of the fire basket I'll put a pile of about 10 or 12 briquettes. then I light the paper underneath. Once my coals are going good and graying, I'll spread them out a bit in the basket and then proceed to load up my charcoal followed by a layer of wood and then maybe some more charcoal. So far I've never had to refill my UDS during a cook with this method but, haven't gone more than 8 hours with it and that was with the basket over half filled. Main reason I like this method is because, it works and I don't have to fire up the propane torch to do it.

I get about 18hrs with the minion method also I layer chacoal and the wood chips about 3 times in the basket.

Haven't heard of this method before, might have to give it a try. My fire basket is removable from my ash pan so, i'll stuff the ash pan full of newspaper then put fire basket on top in the middle of the fire basket I'll put a pile of about 10 or 12 briquettes. then I light the paper underneath. Once my coals are going good and graying, I'll spread them out a bit in the basket and then proceed to load up my charcoal followed by a layer of wood and then maybe some more charcoal. So far I've never had to refill my UDS during a cook with this method but, haven't gone more than 8 hours with it and that was with the basket over half filled. Main reason I like this method is because, it works and I don't have to fire up the propane torch to do it.
I would have thought the ash from the paper would help to cause issues and not taste very nice if it starts swirling around in the drum.

I would have thought the ash from the paper would help to cause issues and not taste very nice if it starts swirling around in the drum.

I have a very deep ash pan so it has not been an issue at all. Plan on posting picks of my gruesome twosome UDS's after this weekend when I get the second one done and shoot some video.

Back