Just signed up for my first contest...couple of questions

ButchB

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I finally decided to take the plunge and enter a competition. I have entered the grilling and chillin in waxhaw, nc Oct 12-13. I've already hit a few obstacles I need to straighten out.

When I called the lady to enter the competition, she asked me what my team name was, I said I don't have one and she said well you'll need to think of something before you sign up. So I put the call out to all my buddies to help me come up with a name, and we went with The Hogfather. My wife had me a banner made and all. Well, I signed up with kcbs today and get an email back saying that name is already taken and i must add my state or something to the end of it. What would you do? I know I shoulda investigated if somebody had that before but thats hindsight now I just need a fix.

Next problem is I need to find some spare ribs that are not enhanced. None of the local grocery stores carry them and will not or can not order them in for me. I'm waiting on a call back from Restaurant Depot, nearest one is 1 1/2 hour away to see of theirs are enhanced or not. Where does everybody get their ribs?

I entered the backyard division so all i need to cook is boston butt and ribs, however they are also having a peoples choice and said they will supply the meat for that portion. My only problem with that is I don't have enough room on my UDS and Akorn to cook much more than what i'm turning in. At the same time i don't wanna look like an a$$hole when the public is coming around wanting samples and i don't have any to give. I'm thinking of buying a bigger smoker before the contest but still not sure yet.

Sorry for the rambling, just thinking out loud, well kinda anyway lol.

Any advice for a first timer?

At least up here the Restaurant Depot ribs are not enhanced.

For the name, you could go with Carolina Hogfathers.

Is the People's Choice the same time as normal turn ins? I hate that.

Do you have time to build a second UDS, or maybe there is a Brother in the area who can lend you one. Unless you really want a bigger smoker, then you NEED to have one :)

Prep and practice... The team name is a bummer. But then, there's more to it than
just KCBS. There are many sanctioning bodies. I dont think you'll be able to check 'em
all...

I have the same problem finding unenhanced meat around here. Luckily we have a
few old style butchers and meat processors around here; I get meat from them.

Size constraints are real. I understand. It's really up to you.

I went to Fresh Market today and they have IBP non enhanced baby backs, but said they can't order spares, I even told them i would pay in advance but they still said no. hoping restaurant depot comes through.

Yeah I like carolina hogfathers, i guess my biggest concern is my wife spent $50 on a banner thats already in the mail on its way and it would need to be redone.

The peoples choice is after the turn in, and they said they will send out volunteers to hand out meat at my station.

I've cooked for 4 of my wifes friends weddings so far this year and a fundraiser for her sister, so i'm using all that to hopefully justify a new smoker before the contest.

Good luck with finding the meat you want.
Can't help you there.

People's Choice events that are not "blind" tend to favor the local teams with friends and family voting.
If that is "you"--go for it.
If not, do it if you want as a "practice" cook to see what happens.

Just go cook and have FUN!! :grin:

TIM

I know you're in a small town but SAMs and Costco are a great source for ribs, maybe there is one close by. I compete with 3 UDSs and a kettle, I never do people's choice because I don't have the room. I use a different cooker for every meat and it works for me, I don't wanna change anything.

Change the spelling, keep the name (if they aren't taken). HawgFather, HogPhather, HawgPhather

First contest, pass on People Choice. Concentrate on the turn-ins.
As posted above, site served People Choice is usually won by the team with the most friends and family there. As for telling everyone you are not a People Choice Team; make a sign and place it on a table. Don't feel bad about not serving peoples choice.

If you can come to Salsibury next weekend drop by and see us, Holy Smoke BBQ. Be glad to talk with you. This is our first year too.

I agree with the others on PC......skip it and focus on your entries. PC is always a popularity contest regardless of where you are cooking.

Best of luck and have fun.

I wouldn't worry about the banner - KCBS does not register or reserve names, you just need to make sure they know which team you are when you compete so that you'll get the proper credit. I was "TN Smoke on the Water," but I didn't do anything but register as such for the competitions, and they listed me as such on their website. Not a biggie, I assure you! Good luck!

Next problem is I need to find some spare ribs that are not enhanced. None of the local grocery stores carry them and will not or can not order them in for me. I'm waiting on a call back from Restaurant Depot, nearest one is 1 1/2 hour away to see of theirs are enhanced or not. Where does everybody get their ribs?

There is a BJ's Wholesale Club near you:

319 2nd Street
Cheraw, SC 29520

They have great spares.

-Mike

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help! I think i'm gonna leave the banner as is and just tell KCBS to add NC to the end for their records. Not sure i will ever run into the other guy with the same name anyway.

For the ribs, i may ride to that BJ's in Cheraw and see what they have, i'll let you know.

Again, thanks for all the help!

1st worrie about your turn ins rather than a banner or name. You mentioned that this was back yard so the KCBS isnt even envolved. have fun..and good luck.

BJ's does have really nice ribs...really...

I can't find it listed on their website?

For the location, or if they have ribs?

If it's a rib question, they absolutely have ribs. Spares and baby backs, and around here they also have trimmed St. Louis style.

-Mike

For the location, or if they have ribs?

If it's a rib question, they absolutely have ribs. Spares and baby backs, and around here they also have trimmed St. Louis style.

-Mike

Their website doesn't show a BJ's in SC. it does show one about an hour from here in concord. i may ride up there. i'm assuming they are not enhanced? thanks

Their website doesn't show a BJ's in SC. it does show one about an hour from here in concord. i may ride up there. i'm assuming they are not enhanced? thanks

Yeah, sorry about that! It was a B&J' auto! My mistake. There are a bunch in North Carolina, but none in SC.

-Mike

Don't sweat the name if you are only doing backyard. Skip the people's choice, they are just a hassle.

I just went out to my freezer and pulled 3 packs of spares from RD, and can not find any where on the package that says it is or is not enhanced, therefore, I would say they are not, as if they are, they have to list it.

If you are riding up to Concord to look anyway, RD is not that far down the road in Charlotte. That is where I get mine when I am down that way, but it is too far just to go by meat..... I buy a case at a time when I do go, and stock up on other stuff as well.

I second coming to Salisbury, I will be there as well, and I can show you how easy it is to put 4-6 butts on a drum to cook.

If you have a Sav-A-Lot around you they have the ribs you are asking about.
Dave

Back