BBQ Priorities POll #1 - What do we Learn to Cook For First?

What is a Priority to master FIRST

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am surprised with those that chose "Taste" over Texture so I am glad we are doing this poll. I would never have thought that would be the case. This is great food for thought.
This is why I didn't vote in the other poll. Texture is very important and so intermingled with taste - you EXPECT it (whatever the meat of choice) to have that certain something for both qualities at the same time with the first bite. A conundrum for me.

Definitely creating BBQ that is great to eat not comps...

Comp BBQ is a totally different animal and IMO should be a bi-product of what you've learned to master if you decide to participate.. unfortunately in today's comp scene, for many it's all about getting the winning results immediately without paying dues experimenting and just wanting to mimic what others are doing.

From my own experience;
I have spent years working on my Q. To satisfy myself, my family, and others (in that order)
Starting last year I decided to try my hand at competitions, to see where my own Q stacked up against the "pros"

I am now working on learning what judges like, and am finding that it depends almost entirely upon regional preference.

While any particular CBJ may have been taught to judge by the same criteria as other CBJs, individual judge's own opinions are what drive the score, and opinions are subjective.

Bottom line: i will continue cooking what I enjoy, and will tweak my recipes to (hopefully) suit the judges that particular day.

So the question; which one to we learn to cook for first? My vote went for myself & others.

Back