Queen Creek RibFest Cookoff

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
This will be the first one with hopes of making it a KCBS & State Championship next year.We could use the support of anyone close enough to come.Let's get Arizona on the BBQ map.http://www.azbbqa.com

Go Mr. Smoker. I'll be pulling for you.

GitRDone, Mr Smoker!

MrSmoker said:
This will be the first one with hopes of making it a KCBS & State Championship next year.We could use the support of anyone close enough to come.Let's get Arizona on the BBQ map.http://www.azbbqa.com

MrSmoker, does the link to the QC rib cookoff page work for you from AZBBQ?

BTW i'll only be using half of the dually if someone wants to enter and not haul a smoker i will share :smile:

Get ahold of Brother BullElk and get him there to cook!!! Good luck to all my AZ Brothers!!

MrSmoker said:
BTW i'll only be using half of the dually if someone wants to enter and not haul a smoker i will share :smile:

Dang, what a tempting offer. Too bad our daughter didn't still live in Phoenix. I would probably be able to talk the OL into that trip.

I could actually bring the WSM & OKJoes Horizontal.It would be great to get together with some Brothers. The more entries the bigger the prizes.Boys & Girls Club get 1/3 and we 2/3 of the entry fees.

The Ribfest is this Sat. and i have a a couple questions.The judges will be VIPs from the Town and Boys and Girls Club,they will get a crash course in the KCBS rules.Garnish will be optional,i know how some of you feel about garnish but with new judges i'm not sure what to do.I have entered twice and will be doing one box with a sweet glaze and the other spicy.I also wonder if one box should be kind of falling off the bone like most of us do at home :?: The last contest i did with non certified judges the 1st place Ribs were falling off the bone.

If I was doing a "new" event with quickie course judges (assuming a KCBS rep or judge is doing to "training") I would garnish (legal all the way) and probably slightly overcook the ribs - maybe not fall off the bone but definately pull away tender. The quickie course judges I've been able to see the cards for score all over the place...

You know the flavor pallate of that region - I personally would go sweet and on the spicy I'd have some sweet with it to counterpoint the heat.

Just my opinion - your mileage WILL vary!!

Chad i took your advice and glazed my ribs with my spicy sauce & honey and it worked. Took GC with 31 entries,I'm feelin' good today :biggrin: (plus 450.00 bucks in my pocket)

Last edited:
AWESOME looking ribs! I'd hit those, in a heartbeat! I'm glad Chad shared some tips with you, I didn't even see the questions :oops: (my bad) but you nailed it, that's for sure!

Great job my friend!

Way to go! Congratulations.

I see you tied for 10th too!! So the "other ribs" didn't do that badly either!!

CharlieBeasley said:
Congratulations and very nice package! :grin:

Charlie likes Smoker's package... :eek:

Pass it on!

Nice looking ribs, MrSmoker! Congrats on a great day!

Congratulations, MrSmoker. Great showing. Ribs look great.

Back