Anybody Turn In Picnic Shoulder Before???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just started a thread in Q-Talk asking how to get crispy skin on these, and it got me wondering if anyone ever uses them for comps.

If you did, and were able to nail the skin, would pieces of it be allowed in the box?

Well Q-Dat, I don't know what to tell ya! I know I've never done it. Heck! A feller would have to be plum crazy in tha head to try a stunt like that! :D

I'm a little confused by the question.

I think EVERYONE uses pork shoulder in comps. Boston butt is in fact shoulder, or one end of it. The picnic is the other end.

Butt + picnic = shoulder.

Now if you are asking if anyone has turned in pulled pork using picnic, the answer it yes.

With skin on? not that I am aware of.

No, but how about using Cushion Meat?

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

No money muscle but it pulls like a dream!

DISCLAIMER!

I have never used Berkshire Cushion Meat in Competition and do not condone it if it is an illegal cut!

just sayin'!

Well Q-Dat, I don't know what to tell ya! I know I've never done it. Heck! A feller would have to be plum crazy in tha head to try a stunt like that! :D

That was the best bump ever!! :mrgreen: , and to answer, No!!

No, but how about using Cushion Meat?

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

No money muscle but it pulls like a dream!

DISCLAIMER!

I have never used Berkshire Cushion Meat in Competition and do not condone it if it is an illegal cut!

just sayin'!

SWEET ENOLA GAY SON! That's a chitload of Berky!! What time is dinner??

I'm a little confused by the question.

I think EVERYONE uses pork shoulder in comps. Boston butt is in fact shoulder, or one end of it. The picnic is the other end.

Butt + picnic = shoulder.

Now if you are asking if anyone has turned in pulled pork using picnic, the answer it yes.

With skin on? not that I am aware of.

Yeah, I figured that meat from the picnic had been used plenty, it was mostly just a curiosity about whether the skin would be allowed in the box. I think it would be legal, since its really no different than the skin on chicken.

Seems like it could potentially be a way to include an extra treat in the box, sorta like putting burnt ends in the Brisket box.

MBN uses whole shoulder including the blind box. Some teams trim off most of the skin though. The hock meat is a treat.

Too much 'white meat' in the picnic to just use it in comps... you need the 'dark meat' from the butt...

what dmprantz said. think of the definition of tenderness. I dont think the skin would fit this definition at all. My guess; it's a ticket to that bottom 1/3rd if not DAL.

Notice in the pic below; the skin is still on the picnic end (just under my hands):
P1020127.jpg

Back