8) Squirrels 2 BBQ
9) Motor City Smoke Co.
10) BBQ Guy.com
11) Schultz’s Backyard BBQ
12) Granpappy & Little Willie
13) All Day Smoke
14) Hog Tied Smoking Team
15) Pork of the North

30 teams came out for this contest, and it was a pretty good time. The weather was just about perfect, low 70's and not a drop of rain. Larry King and Steve Grinstead were the contest rep's and they did a great job. I've heard some complaints about Cabela's not having much money in the kitty for prizes, but since I've never won any money in a contest anyway, I don't care about that. I think it was a pretty cool contest. The Schwag Bag had some nice stuff in it, Cabela's Ball Cap, Gore-tex Apron, coozie, and some great game shears!

My turn-ins were the best I've ever done, and I was happy with everything. Kinda weird, I was most happy with my chicken, and it didn't get me squat, so that raised my eyebrows. But ya never know. 9th place ribs (could have been more tender, I think) and 3rd place pork (sliced it this time, and I think the judges liked it). Had some local friends in town visiting, and my bs'ing and Jack and Coke's had me rushing to get my brisket on by 2am. Yikes.

Somehow I got an invitation to the Cabela's National Contest in Kansas City in September, and I'm pretty stoked about it. I didn't even consider getting into it, so it's thrown a monkey wrench into my summer contest plans. I had planned on driving the 90 minutes to Wheeling for the Cabela's contest in August, but now I'm thinking I might scratch that one and go check out the Ribberfest in Madison instead. Who knows.

I posted some pictures of my turn-in boxes on my site, so take a look and feel free to comment, I can use all the help I can get.

RE: Cabela

Congrats!

Sounds like you had a successful outing.

Thanks! I just think the stars were aligned just right, and I had on my lucky hat. :)

Congrats on your contest.
My opinions, remember, I didn't get to taste.........

Chicken.....looks like breast meat.....might have been a little dry by the time the judges got to it. If you like cooking breasts, consider maybe injecting to help keep moist. If they are thighs, consider trimming up before cooking to get more uniform shape Grill marks kinda influenced me also, maybe more even look next time.

Pork.....looks great, looks juicy, nice bark

Brisket....needs a sheen....looks dry.....maybe shoot it with some "I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter" or a slight sauce glaze....

Ribs.......Don't know that I've ever seen a box that full, but they look good.

Definitley looks like you know what you are doing with presentations.

Best of luck at Cabelas...that will be the same weekend as our 1st Annual Bass Pro cookoff........hoping to get a lot of MoFos to enter.......

Thanks for the observations. I think you're right about the chicken, they were thighs, and I realized I didn't really have 6 that were very uniform, need to work on that. Good idea with the brisket, never thought of using something like ICBINB, but that's a great idea. Yeah, when I pulled all the ribs together, I was like "Holy Crap" I'm not gonna be able to close the box. haha, but then I just slowly closed it and prayed. :)

Bass Pro cookoff huh? Sounds like fun.
Best of luck to you too, and I'll see ya 'round!

Back