iQue for hot cook on UDS

smokeyw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been using an iQue now for almost a year on my UDS. I liked it so well that I bought a 2nd one for my other UDS. I normally cook in the 250 degree range and it does a great job of maintaining that temp. I can still get 12 to 14 hours out of a basket of charcoal. This week, I decided to cook my turkey on the UDS and wanted to cook at 325. I lit some coals in the basket with the weed burner as usual and put it down into the drum. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get to 325 and the smoke to go blue. I put the turkey on and it maintained 325 for the entire 5 hour cook (21 pound turkey). However, the fan on the iQue ran continuously. I don't think it ever cut off at all. After the turkey was done, I shut the iQue off and closed everything up on the UDS. When it was out I checked the basket and it had used 3/4 of the charcoal. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with the iQue while cooking above 300?

Yes anything over 300* is going to Burn more fuel as the Ique fan circulates oxygenb
To keep desired temp.

I don't use an IQue, but my design has a very high airflow until it hits the smoker plate. One and half hours to get to temp? WOW. Mine are ready to cook on in three to five minutes, no white smoke and up to higher temps easily. Something sure doesn't sound right if it takes that long or uses that much fuel. Maybe someone else can help, but it sounds like a too small of air intake to me. Have you tried the minion method instead of lighting the basket with the weed burner? Wish you luck, but it sure seems like something in the design is off. Steve.

Yeah, I know it will burn more fuel. I was a little surprised at how much more. I also wondered about the iQue. It maintained 325 very well but I don't think it would have maintained 350-375. I do use a pizza stone as a heat sink in this UDS as a heat sink. It holds really steady temps and is very even from the center out to the edge but I do think the iQue runs more with the stone than without.

Yes anything over 300* is going to Burn more fuel as the Ique fan circulates oxygenb
To keep desired temp.

Back