No weld Drum basket

Building my first UDS this weekend. I'm definitely using this great tutorial to make a no-weld basket... however, all of the bailing wire that I've been able to find is galvanized, which I'm not willing to use due to the poison risk. What other type of wire would work here? I have a bit of a thick-gauge copper wire. Is that safe to use?

Also, what kind of wire could I use for the handle?

The copper wire will be fine to use
I used stainless steel picture hanging wire from an old picture frame that was in the garage.

I've read that you can strip the zinc off by a quick soak in muriatic acid.

Worm gear hose clamps work great. Stainless steel, readily available and fairly inexpensive.

Chris

16" dia, 16"high, adjustable bottom, raises in about 20 sec. for grilling, return springs securing ash pan,works great

Last edited:
That's a good idea too! I did go ahead and order stainless zip ties off of ebay.

Has anyone ever used threaded plated steel rods as the handle? I found them in the same spot as expandable steel. I assume the plated rods are safe for use? (better to be paranoid than dead)

Worm gear hose clamps work great. Stainless steel, readily available and fairly inexpensive.

Chris

I think everyone is getting a little OCD concerning the use of a small amount of plated metal, The temps would have to be very high to oxidize the plating, and when and if it does, it's gone. vaporized. You injest far more zinc in your body through lotions and vitamins. Everything in moderation...

Here's my "no weld basket"

CompleteFireBasket.jpg

I used the bottom of an El-Cheapo charcoal grill as the ash pan, an old grate from a 22.5" donor and 12" steel wire shelving cut down with bolt cutters.

I initially used the brackets from the Cheapo grill to hold the basked up and to make legs for the whole thing, but they were too flimsy and put the bottom of the basket too high up. I replaced them with carriage bolts after this pic was taken. The paint on the wire shelving burned right off after a good hot burn. All I had to do was basically just brush the paint off the wires and it was good to go.

My ash pan sits right on the bottom of the drum, I can put my hand on the bottom during a cook and it's just warm.

Back