RD in Lomdard: Packer Briskets?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I finally got my one day pass and went to RD in Lombard, IL. I asked for packer briskets and they said that they don't carry them.

For those that shop there, is this true? I thought that they did carry them. You know........I've gotten this same "dear in the headlights stare" from just about any butcher or meat packer (unpacker) that I mention the word packer, too. I then go on to explain, you know, the whole brisket, flat and point.........and then they say no, just the flat.

If not, do you local guys know where to get packers from? I did order one from a local butcher, but the thing was not cyro-vac packaged.

Thanks,

I was in the RD in Kansas City today and they had them. I'm sorry no one in your area knows about them. Costco locally doesn't sell them, but the local Sams Clubs does, try Sams.

Flats only at Sam's..........not popular here. BBQ joints popping up all over the place in the Chicagoland area.

I'm sure that there are places around here, but I just don't know about 'em or don't have access to them. There are teams around here that do get 'em.

I just realized that I've been upgraded to "On the road to being a farker". :cool:

Thanks,

I always get packers at the RD in my area.

If I need something that they don't have oh hand, they will order it and have it delivered in a day or two. You should ask and your store may do the same.
Of course, you will probably have to buy a full case of whatever you are asking for.

Never been to Rd but I get mine from Costco in Oakbrook or Orland Park. If you are near lombard there is a really good butcher there. Its called Clancy's and is right on Park and St Charles. He can usually hook you up for 2.99/pound. Not sure if they are cryo vac or not but he carries some excellent meat there. Stop by and talk to Jim I think his name is. Very nice guy and will always try to work with ya. He also carries Hanger Steaks there and his marinade for them is incredible.

http://clancyscornerbutchershoppe.com

I'm not sure who you asked. That's all they carry. I've never seen a brisket flat at RD in Lombard. Go into the big cooler and head straight back to the meat cases. Angus packers are in the far right case and Choice packers are in the center case. If you want to buy a whole case they are to the let of the meat cases. If you have any questions there is a desk to the right of the meat cases. The guys there are always helpful.

BTW, if you see any packers bigger than 12 lbs, hands off! Those are mine! :-D

Oh yeah... They also have corned briskets (full packers). Don't get cornfused :-D and buy one of those when you don't want corned beef.

I'm not sure who you asked. That's all they carry. I've never seen a brisket flat at RD in Lombard. Go into the big cooler and head straight back to the meat cases. Angus packers are in the far right case and Choice packers are in the center case. If you want to buy a whole case they are to the let of the meat cases. If you have any questions there is a desk to the right of the meat cases. The guys there are always helpful.

Oh yeah... They also have corned briskets (full packers). Don't get cornfused :-D and buy one of those when you don't want corned beef.

Stupid me! :icon_blush: I did buy the supposed flats. After reading your response I went and checked my fridge carefully and they are indeed packers. They didn't have the huge point that I had on other packers.........got those from the Chicago Meat Market........didn't like them. I got briskets from RD in the 10 lb range...........they looked more like flats. Man, what a dummy! :roll:

Maybe the butcher's don't know the terms, but apparently I can't tell the difference when it's staring me in the face.

Anyway.....cool! No 12 pounders there, at least not in the case...........lucky you!

I didn't know Costco had 'em.

How many times can you use this one-day pass?

Thanks,

they got them.I was there last thursday and they had two shelves full of choice

Last month they had em on sale for $2.18 per lb. I gotta 12 pounder. :cool:

Those prices are very low. :thumb:

I rarely buy briskets locally, as the Dominick's in my neighborhood charges nearly $5.00/pound for flats.

For the same money as your 12 pounder packer I can only get about a four or five pound flat. :crazy:

Ron - both packers I picked up there on Thursday were just short of 16 lbs..judges at shannon didnt like them but they sure tasted good at work today

Back