Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Hang in there I feel your pain!! When I was working thru my permitting they "lost" my paper work, then the inspector went on a month long Vacation... and then "miss placed" my second 50+ pages application.. so took me three tries for a "1 month max wait" for application processing. It will get better.. and yes Bourbon will help lol... beer for me. I still have those days once in a while...

Well, today goes in the books as one of the worst days of this venture so far. Anything that could go wrong did. Electrician came as promised, so that was good. Then the problems started. Plugged the steam table in and it wasn't working. Outlet had power, so the table itself was toast. Called my repair guy and begged him to come out here ASAP. Thankfully he did, but to the tune of $250. So much for saving money buying used equipment.

Even more disastrous was the CVAP machine, which aside from the smoker is the most important piece of equipment here. It blew up around 3 this afternoon. Lucky the entire place didn't burn down. Something on the main circuit board shorted out and sparks went flying everywhere. Guess how much that repair is going to set me back? About $700, plus they have to overnight a new control module.

Then the credit card machine stopped working.

One of the drains backed up and nearly flooded the entire kitchen.

And worst of all, none of these government officials can get their ******* act together. HD wants a mechanical inspection still. Mechanical wants a permit. Contractor called mechanical and said they didn't do any exhaust work, so no permit needed. Tried to get the township supervisor involved and he said he was going to pull some strings and make things happen so we can open in the morning. Of course he calls back late this afternoon and said the ball is in my court and I need to get everybody on the same page.

So, the health inspector will be here first thing in the morning, but he's still insisting on some phantom inspection that the mechanical guy refuses to do.

My hands are tied. My head is pounding. And the chances of opening tomorrow are growing slimmer by the hour.

Now where did I put my bourbon...

Sweet fancy Moses. Murphy is a nimrod. It can only get better...right??

I am so mad for you. Wish I had some advice, but all I can do is bang my head in sympathy.

As was said just hang in there Brother!!!

Local governments are a pain sometimes

Thanks for sharing the good and the bad....keeps everyone grounded with the picture of all the headaches as well. Best of luck in getting it all worked out.

Hang in there!

The article about you in the local paper that you posted on Facebook was real nice. That should help you once the local government workers get their act together. We had the same problem with inspectors, etc when we moved our business. I had to pay close to $4k for inspections and hire an architect to make a drawing just showing where we were putting our equipment! Such a pain in the arse but you forget about it once you are up and running. Keep your head up. You have a lot of guys here rooting for you!

Hang in there brother, it'll work out. I'm going to be in the Niles area today and tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying your Q! :hungry:

Hang in there brother! The good news(and frustrating I'm sure) is that you have customers waiting to come to your place. Most businesses would would kill for that pre-existing base. Good luck today (um...Friday the 13th:shock:). I'm still planning to stop by next Wednesday!

A lesser man would just give up. The worst that can happen is that they'll suck some more $$$ out of you and postpone your opening. You will still succeed - I know this based on all of your posts to date. And success will be an even bigger triumph when compared to the difficulties you encountered and conquered along the way.

It's too bad we aren't open today for lunch. Already had about 40 phone calls and 20 people stop in.

Still trying to work some magic so that we can open for dinner. Got a contractor friend who said he would do me a favor and pull the permit the mechanical guy needs today, and township supervisor said as soon as that's done he would do everything in his power to get the inspector to come out and look at it. Then it's just a matter of a phone call to the health inspector to say it's ok and we'd be good to go.

But staring at the phone waiting for it to ring is driving me insane.

Then the credit card machine stopped working.

Every small business owner should have a Square (or similar) account for backup in case of SNAFUs like this or if the phone line is down. The account and reader are free. You only get charged if you use it.

Every small business owner should have a Square (or similar) account for backup in case of SNAFUs like this or if the phone line is down. The account and reader are free. You only get charged if you use it.

Very cool idea, I didn't know they were free. I will most certainly pick one up. Also a good idea for outside sales.

It's too bad we aren't open today for lunch. Already had about 40 phone calls and 20 people stop in.

Still trying to work some magic so that we can open for dinner. Got a contractor friend who said he would do me a favor and pull the permit the mechanical guy needs today, and township supervisor said as soon as that's done he would do everything in his power to get the inspector to come out and look at it. Then it's just a matter of a phone call to the health inspector to say it's ok and we'd be good to go.

But staring at the phone waiting for it to ring is driving me insane.

You need a quick pop up food truck.

Learned another lesson the hard way today. Don't try to drain the grease from the pit when you're busy and might get called away. Now I'm stuck cleaning up a huge overflow spill that's covering the entire back concrete slab. Oops.

Chit happens Brother

Waiting to hear you're open so we can head your way

Is it funny yet?? It's not all funny yet, is it??!! Hand in there! When the laughs of customers fill the walls and greenbacks fill the wallet, this will all be a distant memory!

Learned another lesson the hard way today. Don't try to drain the grease from the pit when you're busy and might get called away. Now I'm stuck cleaning up a huge overflow spill that's covering the entire back concrete slab. Oops.

It won't be the last time either. Don't walk away from a pot on the stove either. Don't ask how I know. Timers lots and lots of timers!

You be open tomorrow though, wont you?

You be open tomorrow though, wont you?

Nope. It's the weekend, like government employees are going to work.

We have actually escalated this to the highest possible level. Now the county commissioners are involved, attorneys are involved, and my wife's boss even got our state senator to return some calls. Nothing going to stop this from happening ASAP if I have anything to say about it.

Now that's the way to do it Brother, call in the BIG guns :thumb:

Back