Slicing Comp Brisket question...

Full Draw BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the thread about the brisket and chicken turn in boxes, which looked awesome to me, but I have a quick question after seeing the brisket slices.

How in the world do you get the slices so perfect and even? Using a slicer or a special technique to get them thin and uniform?

Thanks!!!!!!

VERY sharp, long-bladed (at least 12") slicer:
12inchslicer.jpg

a steady hand, a lot of practice and a lot of patience.

I tried using an electric knife, but I use a 20cm Global, I keep it super sharp. I use it to trim briskets, cut briskets and the money muscle on pork, I don't let it touch anything else.

I used an electric knife, but moved to a slicing knife & keep it deadly sharp. When slicing the pork money muscles & brisket flat you just have to have a steady hand, sharp eye, and patience.

A steady hand, a good knife, a critical eye, and practice, practice, practice. This is the knife I use. It's a Shun Classic 9-1/2" hollow ground slicer.
Shunslicer.jpg

I trim the brisket with the grain to exactly 7-3/4" wide before I cook it. This makes the slices fit perfectly in the box when done and ensures that I will be slicing exactly across the grain later. Put the blade in place and take a close look before you start slicing. Re position if necessary and take your time. Use pressure on the back stroke only. Good luck!

Slicing the brisket is the most exciting and the most stressful time for us at a contest. We know just by how the knife feels and looks as it makes its first pass through the meat whether we're having a good brisket day or a not so good brisket day.

The most magical feeling is when the knife glides and just falls through the meat.

Oh, hell yes!

Slicing the brisket is the most exciting and the most stressful time for us at a contest. We know just by how the knife feels and looks as it makes its first pass through the meat whether we're having a good brisket day or a not so good brisket day.

The most magical feeling is when the knife glides and just falls through the meat.

Oh, hell yes!

That's almost poetry Vince. :becky:

I have better luck with the 12 inch Victorinox Granton edge slicer...I keep it razor sharp!!!!! I only slice briskets and money muscles with her... it takes ALOT of practice!!!!

Back