Rib frustration!

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Sam's Club, Costco, Kroger, Walmart, Restaurant Depot - all have St Luis cut ribs - sure no problem there. Most of the time for home cook they are great.

My frustration right now is finding ribs that are cut correctly which leads me to wanting to just get full rack and trim it down myself. Problem - WHERE!? Unless I go to a butcher, which is pricey, I can't find them. Thoughts or suggestions?

The only St. Louis cut ribs I can find here are Tyson and they are trimmed pretty well. What problems are you finding in your area?

BTW, full racks are usually cheaper per pound and you can use the trimmings as snacks or for beans, etc.

The only St. Louis cut ribs I can find here are Tyson and they are trimmed pretty well. What problems are you finding in your area?

BTW, full racks are usually cheaper per pound and you can use the trimmings as snacks or for beans, etc.

True. They're all over the place here as well for about 1.79/lb averege if not cheaper. Honestly though for me I find the Costco STL's pretty much perfect(convenient) for bbq so I'm curious as well with the issues you're having.

The problems with trimmed ribs I'm getting around here are how they are cutting the ends. Its a mix of the ribs and then the cartledge really mingled in bad. I go to trim that part off to allow me clean cooks and clean cuts for a good looking rib and I end up with really SHORT ribs. Again - if cooking at home NO PROB. But for comps which we are hoping to start doing not so good.

True. They're all over the place here as well for about 1.79/lb averege if not cheaper. Honestly though for me I find the Costco STL's pretty much perfect(convenient) for bbq so I'm curious as well with the issues you're having.

Ditto on the Costco. I have a number of trophies to support they score high in competitions

Restaurant Depot carries full spares, but we aren't going back.

Untrimmed spares are cheaper and are always available at local markets around here.

Full slab spares here are $1.79. Last week at local store had meat guy get them out from freezer and then asked to have them cut down. Didn't charge me and paid full slab price for St. Louis cut. Told him I needed them 5" wide to fit on rib-o-lator.

i feel your pain, i have the same issues here, if i wanted 3 inch long rib bones, and 2 inches of cartilage on my ribs great, pick the best you can find....

Are you cooking more than one rack for comps? I usually have to cook 2-3 racks to get the "good" bones from the middle of the rack. Costco, Kroger and Rest Depot all have St. Louis spares that will do the trick for comps. If you want to trim your own, they all carry full spares.

Sam's club here only has the full spares. Haven't seen the St. Louis cut, although I've seen both at Costco.

Restaurant depot has full spares. Also, ask the butcher at your local grocery store.

The problems with trimmed ribs I'm getting around here are how they are cutting the ends. Its a mix of the ribs and then the cartledge really mingled in bad. I go to trim that part off to allow me clean cooks and clean cuts for a good looking rib and I end up with really SHORT ribs. Again - if cooking at home NO PROB. But for comps which we are hoping to start doing not so good.

I see what you're saying. I usually will have the "short" ribs sometimes when I trim a packer myself. It always has been consistent from Costco though and I never had any issues.

glad to see this thread, was just talking to a buddy about this. last weekend we used Costco's and they seemed a little off for STL cut. but if they really dont get any better might have to stick with them.

In DFW, Sam's has them (Costco doesn't). I am pretty sure you could ask the butcher at Sam's.

BTW - the little "riblets" from the brisket letftovers are the grandkids favorite part.

as said above - my local RD has full size spares and I can get them from my local grocery store for about $.30 more per pound. Little bit more money but I am there way more often than Restaurant Depot and its much closer to my house as well. The supermarket will vacu-seal however many racks I want and will even pull off the membrane if I am feeling lazy :)

My RD has full spares as well. I actually don't mind Costco St Louis for home use if I'm in a pinch. They are normally under trimmed so I can still trim them down a bit more. Better than over trimmed :razz:

I'm starting to have the same problem here. More and more stores are only carrying the St. Louis cut spare ribs and they are trimmed TOO MUCH for my liking.

What BluDawg said. If you have an HEB around they should have natural whole racks. Trim them down and use the tips for snacks or put them up for grinding.

Back